Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing Excel into ACT 10.0

Importing Excel into ACT 10.0

Help please.  In spite of extensive searches - haven't found that that little nugget of wisdom to solve my problem.

I have a simple excel spreadsheet of about 130 names, addresses, phone, etc.  I have attempted to import into my existing ACT database as a .csv and a .txt - both yield the same results:  The import wizard appears to capture everything fine, I map the fields and click "Finish" , the "Preparing to Import" bar fills up w/the green marks - and then nothing.  Could it be:

1.  My excel spreadsheet has a First Name column and a Last Name column, while ACT has just one Contact field that I'm sending both to?  2.  That I have some phone numbers with parentheses around area code and some European phone numbers?  3.  Does it matter if it was a .xls or a .xlsx spreadsheet to begin with?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  At this point, I should just type the info in manually - but I've become one of those check-out people who stubbornly keeps scanning something, even though they know their efforts are probably futile.

Thanks! 

Re: Importing Excel into ACT 10.0

What type did you import the file as, ie. Company, Group or Contact.  While importing last night from .csv to Act! I found that if I selected Company that it appeared that nothing had been entered, but once I selected Company on the left hand column, it showed all of my imported Companies.  If you imported to Contacts, then they should all show up immediately.

Hope this Helps!!! 

I'm importing into Contact - maybe I'll try importing into Company and see what happens...
Nickel Elite Contributor

The most likely cause is the duplicate checking settings in the ACT! program. By the way, you can't map two import fields to the same ACT! field, only one will be imported, map the first name to the first name field and the last name to the last name field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thank you for your input!    I went through the steps as outlined in the ACT Knowledgebase for those settings already, so I think I've got that covered, unless they should be something other than what's up there. 

As to the Contact First/Last Name fields - unfortunately, I did not set up the database - so I'm stuck with just a 'Contact' field.  I tried just importing Last Name into that field, and still had the same problem.

I have selected the confirm each match option on the Import Wizard to try to hone down what's wrong and also have tested different formats of the Excel spreadsheet - with no luck. 

Thanks again. 

Nickel Elite Contributor

The first name and last name fields are automatically part of any ACT! database. They are system fields so you can't directly edit the fields but they are available for import mapping. You also could use Excel to concatenate the first and last name columns in there and then import the concatenated contact into the contact field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com