Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing Excel Files

Importing Excel Files

I'm trying to import an excel spreadsheet of contacts.  It is a simple file with your typical columns (first name, last name, address, city, phone, etc.).  I've tried a number of options to import the data into ACT!, but nothing is working.  Sometimes I get just the first contact and no others, sometimes I get no contacts at all, sometimes the program locks up and I have to force close it.  Any pointers?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing Excel Files

What Duplicate checking settings are you using.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I'm not sure, to be honest.  How could I check?

Silver Contributor

Duplicate checking is set for the database under Tools, Preferences, Admin.  The import process will look at this criteria for defining a duplicate.  During the import process, the ACT import wizzard allows you to choose what happens when a duplicate is found according to the criteria you have set under Tools, Preferences.

If you duplicate checking preference is set too loose, you will see some or all of your entries skipped due to the improper marking of these records as duplicates.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

In addition. Make sure whatever fields you're using for duplicate checking actually exist in the exce document.

I know you're using a Excel document and not a CSV but it may be worthwhile removing all commas from the file. This is really easy using the Find function in Excel.