Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing Data created duplicate contacts

Tuned Listener

Importing Data created duplicate contacts

Hello,

Just upgraded last month to ACT 2012.  I never had a problem importing monthly data.  I imported a CSV file to update last month's sales information for our accounts.  I must not have had the duplicate checking set properly so I now have duplicate contacts.  The old record has all the old info including notes, histories, etc.  The new record shows the updated sales.  I don't want to have to manually go through over 9000 contacts to merge the records.  I'd just like to restore my backup that I did prior to importing the data.  What is the best way to do this?  I don't want to have to create a new database since we have remote users.

Thanks,

Amy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing Data created duplicate contacts

Hello Amy,
You can lookup the contacts you imported in and delete them:
- Back up your database (best practice)
- From the main menu, go to Lookup > Advanced > Advanced Query
- Field name = Is Imported, Operator=Equal To, Value=True
- Click "Add to list"
- Next line: Field name=Import Date, Operator=Equal To, Value= (whatever date you did the import)
- Click "Add to list"
- Click "Preview" to verify results
- Click OK to run
- Highlight all contacts on the list and delete them, or delete one and on the confirmation select "Delete Lookup"
- After deleting a large amount of data, it is a good idea to run database maintenance - go to Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair; run both options

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Re: Importing Data created duplicate contacts

Thank you!  Worked great!

Now I will set the duplicate checking properly and run the import again. 

Thanks again,

Amy