Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing Contacts from Outlook

Importing Contacts from Outlook

I have Act! but haven't been using it.  I'd like to consider using it once again, but would like to do so starting new and if the questions I have below have easy solutions.

1.  Can I create a new database?

2.  My contacts in outlook currently have categories associated with them.  How can I import them to Act! and keep those designations?  This is important to me if I am going to use Act! once again.

3.  What is the easiest way of linking outlook with Act!?

4.  I have a blackberry storm.  Can the data be linked with my blackberry?

Thanks

Nickel Contributor

Re: Importing Contacts from Outlook

1. Yes

2. Ensure you map your custom field when importing to ensure the crucial data is imported, using the predefined map in regards to this may not be to your advantage.

3. KB 19204

The specifics here would be slightly different if your using outlook 2k7

4. Via third party software.

[ Edited ]
I have not been able to get ACT to import the category associated with an Outlook contact. Unless I am really missing something, "category" does not appear as an Outlook field to map to the ACT record....  :-(
Message Edited by arwen on 01-27-2009 09:59 PM
Nickel Contributor

you may have to go into outlook and export your records into a text delimited file or into excel. Personally i would export them into excel first.  Then clean up the data in excel before importing into ACT.
Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

It baffles me that there isn't an easy remedy to importing Outlook categories into ACT! ID/Status.  This is stupid.  How is it that we can import 12 Fax fields but not the crucial categories field.  Get your ACT! together!  Oh, and exporting to CSV from outlook isn't easy either....since Outlook doesn't understand the concept of "Address 2".  How stupid is that????  Wish three was some real help.  When you have 2500 contacts in your Outlook database the notion of cleaning them up because of falty import/export capabillities makes me sick.
Platinum Elite Contributor

There is no option to import the Outlook Category field by default

What you want to do is to use one of Outlook's User-Defined fields (1-4) as your temporary Category field.   Then you can copy the data from the default Category field in Outlook to this field which will be available to import and map to your ACT! database.

Nickel Contributor

Have you looked at Doublelook from companionlink.com?  that is an excellent program for keeping outlook and ACT contacts sync'd. It will work with categories too.  They also have good software to keep your blackberry sync'd.
Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Re: Importing Contacts from Outlook (SOLUTION)

Yes you can,  I had to sync contacts first because the outlook import is broken.  Act is very tempermantal. 

However,  you can import the categories as an id status.  just export to cvs then import and make sure you map the fields.  It just does not show up because you have to go in and create the new ID/Status. 

Once you create the new ID/Status that will match exactly the outlook catagory do a look up with the id status field, you will see all of the contacts that are in that outlook catagory.  not sure if it will sync but at least if you have over 3k contacts you can get it right.  Once you have completed all this nonsense you will probably have do perform a de-dup.  Good luck.