Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing CSV file into current Database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Importing CSV file into current Database

My setup: Windows server 2008, shared ACT database, Act Premium 2012.

I currently have an act database and appearently I did not map one of the phone number fields so all my numbers were left out.  People started using the database and have entered information so I do not want to start a new database.  I am trying to reimport the same exact CSV file and have it fill in the missing field once I correctly map it.

On my first attempt I imported the csv file (made sure I had merge setting enabled), and after the import I ended up with thousands of doubles.  Too many to merge one by one.

Second attempt, I imported the csv file into a new database, with field correctly mapped.  I then tried to import that database into my old database, again with merge settings enabled and configured.  Same result, thousands of doubles.  

Double have exact same information, meaing address is exact, Name is exact, company field matches exact.

Are there any solutions for this type of situation.  Seems kind of odd that $300+ software would force you to go one by one merging contacts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Importing CSV file into current Database

It seems that your duplicate matching is not working.  Are you matching on the Contact field or some combination of fields (in Tools|Preferences|Admin)?

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Make sure that duplicate checking is turned on and that you map the fields required for the duplicate check and the phone number field you would like to add (but no others). There is a dialog box allowing you to specify how matches are handled, in which you need to choose "replace" rather than "merge".  That should do it.

Mark Rogers

Thanks for the responce, but unfortunately this did not work.  I created a new database from a backup and imported the csv file making sure to replace matches with new version.  Still duplicates were created. 

Very confusing only because its the same exact csv file.

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

It seems that your duplicate matching is not working.  Are you matching on the Contact field or some combination of fields (in Tools|Preferences|Admin)?

Mark Rogers

Thanks for sticking with me on this.  

Turns out this was the issue.  My duplicate checking was looking at fields that were not present in the database.  I swithced them to some fields that were present in database and CSV file and all worked flawless.

As usual, simple user error.  Thanks again.  Life saver.

Do either of you perhaps know why my version of Act! Premium does not even show an option for imports? I've been checking the online forums and cannot find another instance of this. Customer service said that the problem was more complex and needed to be escalated to Tech Support for a better understanding.

Any suggestions help. Thank you!

Administrator

Hi Data,

Please could you explain what you mean a little more?
Are you saying you cannot see the option for import under the File menu?