Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing CSV/Excel into Contacts and nothing shows up

Copper Contributor

Importing CSV/Excel into Contacts and nothing shows up

Hi there,

I have tried this a few times now with same results. I have a list of 1000 email addresses I want to import into ACT and create a Contact for each one. I have tried with Excel and CSV. Each time I go through the 10 steps in the wizard selecting these options:

#4 - selected Custom

#5 did not check box

#6. mapped the email address to the Email field

#8. specified Do Not Change and Add for merge options. Confirm each match is NOT checked but it did seem to work when I had it checked but it eventually crashed after I confirmed about 100 and I did not want to have to click 1000 times.

Confirm import screen says All fields are compatible. The import may continue.

I click Import and it takes a long time and completes with no errors. I open the log and it says 1057 imported into Contact, yet they do not show up in ACT. I restarted ACT and they still do not show up.

Any suggestions?

Tuned Listener

Re: Importing CSV/Excel into Contacts and nothing shows up

Hi

The first thing I would check would be your duplicate checking settings.

From the Tools menu, got to Preferences and click on the Admin tab

Now click the duplicate checking button and see if it's enabled or not

If it is and you are sure the email addresses don't already exist, try turning it off and see what happens

I find it strange that the log file suggests they have been imported correctly if you can't see them on the system

What version of ACT are you running and have you applied all the latest service packs?

Hope this helps

All the best

Copper Contributor

Update:

I found this workaround, not sure why it works. I was just importing email address so i created a 2nd column and numbered them 1-1000. When I imported i specified the 2nd column with the numbers to be the Contact field. It worked now.

I think it had something to do with not having any contact name and multiple email addresses and somehow affiliated

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes, it would have used Contact Name to check if it was a duplicate ... and they would have all matched the first one imported

I have ACT 2013 pro.  I have this same problem. 

I have tried both enabling and disabling duplicate checking - nothing

I have tried F5 to "refresh" (a suggestion by one of your people on another page) - nothing

I have tried creating a new/empty database - nothing.

Every time it says that I have successfully imported 513 leads (the exact number I was trying to import) without any errors.  And yet nothing shows up in the contact list.

Help?!

Bronze Super Contributor

Sounds silly but try moving the first column in your csv to another position.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

sorry... mine is actually a Tab delimited text file.  Not a CSV.  Last night this was the closest I found to a solution.  Didn't work.

Are you saying I should go through 513 lines of contacts and copy and past the info to a different column?

Copper Elite Contributor

Could you post your step-by-step process for doing the import?

Could you also post a list of the fields you are importing and which fields are being used for Duplicate Checking?

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

I do everything as stated here:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26828/kw/26828

and it works beautifully..... except when I get to the end.  the progress bar has finished, it tells me "Import has Finished."

on the "View Import Log" it states:

"Items successfully merged:
Total:513

Sage ACT! did not encounter any errors merging records."

But nothing shows up in the contact list except the original "user" profile it creates when you first create a new database.

I have disabled duplicate checking entirely - same result.  When trying it with it enabled I have simply used the defaults "company - contact - phone" - same result.  It always progresses as though everything is fine - but no contacts show up.

The first lines and fews leads of the text are (as leads purchsed from a list broker):

"Date List Produced"    "Record Expiration Date"    "First Name"    "Middle Initial"    "Last Name"    "Address"    "City"    "State"    "Zip Code"    "Zip Plus 4"    "County"    "Metro Area"    "Neighborhood"    "Carrier Route"    "Latitude"    "Longitude"    "Age Range"    "Adult Gender"    "Own / Rent"    "Estimated Household Income"    "Estimated Home Value"    "Housing Type"    "Lead Status"
"04/29/2014"    "10/29/2014"    "Jose"    "A"    "Cardenas"    "860 Little Creek Dr"    "Perrysburg"    "OH"    "43551"    "6009"    "Wood"    "Toledo, OH"    ""    "C024"    "00041.542329"    "-0083.647475"    "50 - 54"    "Male"    "Confirmed Owner"    "$100,000 - $124,999"    "$150,000 - $174,999"    "Single Family Dwelling"    ""
"04/29/2014"    "10/29/2014"    "Christopher"    "K"    "Henthorn"    "26833 Shawnee Dr"    "Perrysburg"    "OH"    "43551"    "5805"    "Wood"    "Toledo, OH"    ""    "C017"    "00041.541337"    "-0083.664085"    "45 - 49"    "Male"    "Confirmed Owner"    "$125,000 - $149,999"    "$175,000 - $199,999"    "Single Family Dwelling"    ""
"04/29/2014"    "10/29/2014"    "Jodi"    "L"    "Busack"    "860 Ashington Dr"    "Perrysburg"    "OH"    "43551"    "2919"    "Wood"    "Toledo, OH"    ""    "C018"    "00041.562016"    "-0083.600936"    "45 - 49"    "Female"    "Confirmed Owner"    "$100,000 - $124,999"    "$175,000 - $199,999"    "Single Family Dwelling"    ""

Copper Elite Contributor

Are you performing the "Typical import" or a "Custom import"?

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP