Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing Act 2011 Premium with custom fields get dropped when merging

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Importing Act 2011 Premium with custom fields get dropped when merging

When I import data, there are duplicate companies.  The merge is successful.  However, the custom fields that match up perfectly are dropped.

any ideas would be most appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author cmulgrum
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Importing Act 2011 Premium with custom fields get dropped when merging

You know - I missed that you were talking about Yes/No - sorry.

That said I think you hit it on the head.  A yes/no field is never empty because a default of NO means it is set to an actual value of "False" any time a new record is created.  Thusly no NULLs/emptys, and therefor no merge...

I have not really taken the time to check the community for verification, but it seems I do recall a similar conversation on this before.

You do have a workaround, use the mass edit tool to update an unused field in both databases - say one of the user fields (assuming this is a contact record) and set it to match what the value of the Yes/No is.  Only have to do one value as the opposite is logically empty.

Re-run your merge, aligning your interim placeholder yes/no fields.  This should then populate the field on the target side to be in parallel to what the source Yes/No was.  Do a lookup to find the value you populated in your placeholder field, and then you should be able to do a mass edit to update the Real Yes/No to the updated value from the source.

Hope that makes sense.

May be something easier, but this is what comes to mind at the end of a long day right now...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tuned Listener

I also want to mention that the custom field exists in both the source and destination db's.  The field names and type are exactly the same (Yes/No).

The records affected were when there was a duplicate contact.  The Record Manager in the destination DB is not the same as the source.

Thanks

Bronze Super Contributor

Not sure if this exactly hits what you are asking, but here goes:

When you import using the ACT! import tool, if it finds a "duplicate", which, by the way, is based upon your choice as set in Tools -> Preferences, the only fields that will be imported are ones that are empty in the target database...

So, to say it another way:  If the field in the target has a mapped field from the file being imported in and it is empty, it will be populated with the import value when there is one.  If the target already has data, no matter what, it will always stay the same.

Tuned Listener

Scott- So, a Yes/No field is never empty if it is defined with default to NO in the Field Setup?
Solution
Accepted by topic author cmulgrum
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

You know - I missed that you were talking about Yes/No - sorry.

That said I think you hit it on the head.  A yes/no field is never empty because a default of NO means it is set to an actual value of "False" any time a new record is created.  Thusly no NULLs/emptys, and therefor no merge...

I have not really taken the time to check the community for verification, but it seems I do recall a similar conversation on this before.

You do have a workaround, use the mass edit tool to update an unused field in both databases - say one of the user fields (assuming this is a contact record) and set it to match what the value of the Yes/No is.  Only have to do one value as the opposite is logically empty.

Re-run your merge, aligning your interim placeholder yes/no fields.  This should then populate the field on the target side to be in parallel to what the source Yes/No was.  Do a lookup to find the value you populated in your placeholder field, and then you should be able to do a mass edit to update the Real Yes/No to the updated value from the source.

Hope that makes sense.

May be something easier, but this is what comes to mind at the end of a long day right now...