Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Imported Text Delimited Leads dont show up

Imported Text Delimited Leads dont show up

I just tried to import a text delimited file of about 15 contacts.  Everything appears to work and import properly but the records dont show up in my contact list.  Any advice on what I am probably not doing?

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Imported Text Delimited Leads dont show up

Check the settings for how the import should handle duplicates and add new records.  The way that it is worded can be confusing.  Typically in the situation you explain it is because the expected behavior of the import filters vs. what they actually do is counter intuitive.

There is a knowledge base article at help.act.com detailing how to import text delimited data into Act! 2006-2010.  Search using #15208

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Imported Text Delimited Leads dont show up

Hi Scott, I'm havng the same problem. I'm importing a single contact from a tab delimited .txt file. There is no possibility of a duplicate contact.  In step 5 of 7 of the Import Wizard,  I can map all the fields and when I hit the arrow button I even see all of my data for this one contact, including First Name and Last Name (which auto-mapped) but when I complete the Import Wizard, the contact does not appear in my database.  At your suggestion I review article #15208 thoroughly but can not figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Imported Text Delimited Leads don't show up

Hi Scott, I'm having the same problem. I'm importing a single contact from a tab delimited .txt file. There is no possibility of a duplicate contact.  In step 5 of 7 of the Import Wizard,  I can map all the fields and when I hit the arrow button I even see all of my data for this one contact, including First Name and Last Name (which auto-mapped) but when I complete the Import Wizard, the contact does not appear in my database.  At your suggestion I review article #15208 thoroughly but can not figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Copper Super Contributor

Just tried saving my Excel file as a .csv file, tried the Import Wizard, was able to map all the fields again and see my one contact's date when I hit the arrow button on step 5 of 7, completed the Import Wizard but again the one contact does not show up in my database.  I'm hoping there is someone way smarter than me who can figure this out...

Copper Contributor

What is ACT! using to determine a duplicate.

Go to  Tools > Preferences.

On the general tab on the bottom right, click the Duplicate Checking button.

The default is usually Company, Contact,and Phone.

The gotcha here can be when you have a blank in your data in one of your duplicate checking fields.

<blank Company>, John Smith, <blank Phone> will match the other John Smiths in your database without Company and Phone.

Copper Super Contributor

Hi Nabel, thank you for replying.  I checked my duplicate checking fields and all three are set to a different field.  The last name of the contact that I'm trying to import from the text delimited file is a unique name and none of my other clients share this last name.   I still see all the fields matching up in the import wizard but the new contact does not appear in my data base.  Any other ideas?