Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Important Notice Regarding your Act! Product - Amazing

Important Notice Regarding your Act! Product - Amazing

Received a notice today from ACT that I find truly amazing and completely disappointing.

Here is the statement:

Important Notice Regarding Act! and Office 365 Integration

Your experience as an Act! customer is important to us. As you may be aware, Microsoft is releasing updates more frequently than in years past, and some of the recent updates have impacted several software applications, including Act!.

Microsoft releases updates across three deployment channels, known as the Current Channel, the Deferred Channel and the First Release for Deferred Channel.

To reduce the likelihood of Microsoft-related compatibility issues in the future, we recommend that the majority of Act! customers using Office 365 set their Office preferences to receive updates on the Deferred channel. While this is our recommendation, we understand that this may not be the best option for your business. You can learn more about the channels and their implications here.

Note that the Deferred Channel is the default channel. If you have not changed your default channel settings, then you should already be on the Deferred channel, and don’t need to make a change.

Will I still get security updates on the Deferred channel?

Yes. According to Microsoft: The Deferred Channel updates every four months and is trying to strike the right balance between feature richness and a reasonable 4-month update cycle. That means Office will update every 4 months with feature updates. Critical updates and security updates, if applicable, will still be deployed monthly.

For more on this from Microsoft, click here. And for additional details on Microsoft channels and how to change your channel, visit the following KB article:

Recommended Microsoft Office update channel settings when using Act! with Office 2016 or Office 365

Customers on Act! versions 16 and earlier are not on a currently supported version of Act!, and Act! v17 will be unsupported by the end of this year. To help protect yourself from future compatibility issues, we strongly recommend being on an active Act! subscription or supported version of Act!.

The Act! Team

This is my reply if I thought anyone but this community might even read it.:

This is a ridiculous suggestion.

We pay thousands in licensing fees for ACT to be maintained. Microsoft also releases developer builds for testing along the way. Those clearly are not being used for testing much like you are asking us to forfeit the benefits of Microsoft Updates.

Forfeiting security for lack of development on the part of a vendor I spend thousands with seems like the customer is not coming first.

I would look at reconsidering your position on this and with this last failure we were out of service on many machines for up to a week plus before the fixes were deployed not by ACT but by third party solution providers to then be followed up by a new release / patch by ACT.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure people might agree or disagree with my reply, but I thought we should at least discuss the issue.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Important Notice Regarding your Act! Product - Amazing

[ Edited ]

My windows 7 updates and office outlook 2013 updates have wasted the past 4 days and one more day on phone with microsoft support AGAIN tomorrow.

FLack microsoft - My outlook 2013 is hosed. outlook 2010 still works - SCREW EM.. No more ms for me.  SCREW EM AGAIN -  I have been on the phone with Godaddy, Network solutions, And THREE of their 3rd party support services. cant receive pop emails, cant send fricken ms exchange hosted emails. system restores and ms wants me to pay them $435 for fixing their mess. what a load of gd crap - SCREW microsoft. None of those support people know anything about this. I just wrapped up my 16 hour day and it was another wasted day.

Some of the support folks I dealt with lately have been using Linux(Not MS).

Tomorrow I am going to ask microsoft who I can send my bill/invoice to. $100 buck per hour.

I could not find the phone number for ms support - finally got that from godaddy this afternoon. 800-642-7676 for ms office support.

Hope you have $435 bucks to throw away for their dip stick  business support.

Call them and give them, a big piece of my mind.

Ms does not want you calling them now - they want you to use their automated virtual / chat assistant. MS support does not even now what the frick is going on.

I am ditching several websites and emails and business. I MAY NOT NEED ACT MUCH LONGER EITHER - Good lord I have better things to do. 

The microsoft engineers need to use their own fricken crap to actually run a business with. Then see what they come up with.

Until then, that's right SCREW microsoft. 

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is reasonable to expect that software will be supported for a 3 year period, that is a fairly normal standard in the business.

CRM software has a particular problem as it integrates with a range of other software and when that changes it can effect or break or degrade the interaction with ACT.

BUT SWIFTPAGE that is the business of CRM and unless you stay committed to supporting those changes for a reasonable time customers will move to products that do.

ACT's link to Outlook is particularly susceptible to MS changes as it uses MAPI to link. Most other CRM packages use more robust form of connection and at least 2 act-addon Outlook options also do not use MAPI and do not have problems. It is time for the ACT design team to move from spending all their time trying to mend an outdated technology and develop and release a free upgrade non MAPI interface version fix.

I would like to outline from the email some important points and information from Microsoft 

Security updates are NOT forfeited when changing the channel from Current to Deferred. You will still received Security updates for Office.

The Deferred Channel will change is the rate that you will receive new builds which includes new features for Outlook, Due to the new way Microsoft is updating their product updates are coming a lot quicker which allows our development a lot less time to identify and resolve issues, as an example since June 7th Microsoft have release 3 new builds on the Current Channel.

The Deferred channel is recommended by Microsoft if "you have a significant number of line-of-business applications, add-ins, or macros that you need to test with Office" this line being taken from: Overview of update channels for Office 365 ProPlus

While we understand that this may not be possible for all business's and we will work to provide a resolution through troubleshooting on the Current channel some issues maybe due to an incompatibility with the newest build of Office.

I am hoping this may clear any hesitation or confusion.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Thank you for that info - After 4 days of support from several sources- and now another 4 hours of ms support, they resolved my outlook 2013 issue - seems my office 2013 update clobbered my outlook and malwarbytes. Part of process was - I removed MB from my pc and outlook started working.

Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Horn

I accept totally your argument regarding Deferred Channel as a preferred setup but, and there is always a but when dealing with clients - 

In practical terms many of us do not support the client for IT support, just ACT, which means we can only request that they do as asked.

Just to complicate matters further a majority of the smaller ACT users outsource thier IT support so we have even less influence on how they configure Outlook.

And lastly there are still too many problems even with Deferred Channel and ACT - Outlook integration.

The only way to fix integration issues is to test them.

The fact it took many weeks to get a solution to an issue with a build of Outlook that was released weeks before to the dev side makes no sense to me other than when those updates are sent out ACT developers are not testing them till someone calls in with an issue. Many companies work their dev side like this and sadly its pretty common. It is mostly common with free software and not something we pay for with bucket loads of money yearly. Most companies that get money for the software and recurring money support the product properly. I have 20 users, I pay for premium support. What am I funding with that support contract? If it is something more than that I would love to here a response from ACT.

If it cannot work properly with outlook then simply stop supporting it. Or put people in place to immediately test and alert us of potential issues. It feels like we are beta testers and issues like this are responded to only after we make them known.

Nickel Elite Contributor

UPDATE - YEP ME OUTLOOK 2013  BE DOWN SINCE LAST THURSDAY AND ALMOST HAD IT ALL WORKING AT 11AM CT TODAY.

MS LEVEL II SUPPORT RECOMMENDED I RE-APPLY CURRENT OFFICE/OUTLOOK UPDATES AND I AM BACK TO LAST THURSDAY AGAIN.

CANNOT SEND POP OR EXCHANGE EMAILS FROM MY ONCE AWESOME OUTLOOK 2013.  WHAT A BUNCH OF BULL SPIT..

TIME TO BOOT WINDOWS OUT THE DOOR.