Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import from version 4 to 11?

Import from version 4 to 11?

Hello, ACT! newbie here.  I have a client that is using ACT! version 4 and is considering upgrading to the latest version.  Will an export of data from version 4 be imported into version 11 ok?

Any information is appreciated!

Gary

Re: Import from version 4 to 11?

Gary,

No export is necessary.  You'll need to convert the ACT! 4.0 database to ACT! 2009.

How to Convert an ACT! 3.x - 6.x Database to ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0)

Thanks for the info and the quick response!

Gary

I moved from v6 (which worked perfectly) to v11 and had significant problems with the data conversion. I had used ACT since the DOS days, and there are tons of possible pitfalls that cause this conversion to fail that the diagnostics do not pick up and there are no clear reports generated that indicate the source of the failure.

I spent several hours on with tech support (because of waiting for the conversion to fail, trying to import to another newly created empty database etc...)... only to be told that they don't support a v6 corrupt database.

The database was not corrupt --- the conversion process would kick it out but not generate enough information to manually fix it...

I ened up contacting Scott Holmes at Cornerstone Solutions --- holmes@cornerstonesolutions.com --- after another post reply to these same conversion problems. He has a program that will evaluate your database and create RedFlags (also the name of the program) for potential errors. In my case, I had used (in the DOS days) the phone extension fields to show work, home, etc -- so I had text in a field that the new database was expecting numeric data... Whether this was one of the causes of the data conversion failure I'm not sure --- because there were also cleared calendar entries from the very early days that did not work well with the conversion either. In my case, Scott recommended clearing the history of the cleared caledar events older than 100 days (or so..). I cleared them older than 3 years --- and the conversion went though just fine.

Bottom line is that your time (and your clients) is worth money --- if the data does not convert immediately, look to ACCs to help you. I was given prices upwards of $500 to "fix" a database of 4800 contacts... Scott did it for SIGNIFICANTLY less than that --- his time is charged by the hour, but we were under an hour and I am very grateful. Quick, clean, and efficent... and working!

I am still irritated that Sage does not provide adequate log information regarding WHY the conversion failed, but this worked out well. Please don't suggest that it was a problem because I was coming from v6 -- an old version --- because it wasn't. It was because I was coming from v1 or so --- I've been using ACT since it's inception. I've purchased and returned v7 and v8 --- lost features, slow, etc. v11 finally should have brought the needed features back, better integration with Outlook etc.. It's just a shame that Sage dropped the ball on their own databases.

Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up