Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import excel text file into ACT 9.0

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Import excel text file into ACT 9.0

I have done this over 20 times but for some reason when I try it now the import bar just hangs and eventually it disappears with no addition of contact to our database.  I have tried a separate test import with the same results so I know it is not a problem with the specific spreadsheet.  Any suggestions on how to get import working?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Import excel text file into ACT 9.0

Different workstation did work, thanks.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Some steps to try:

- Try running 'Check and Repair' on the database (Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair). 

- if this is a shared database, try the import directly on the host machine

- for a test file > manually create a file and enter a line or 2 of information and test importing it (in case you had the previous file created programmatically)

Are these new contacts you are adding to the database?  If yes, try disabling 'Duplicate Checking' (Tools > Preferences > General tab > Duplicate Checking button > uncheck the 'enable' box) and then import the file.

Greg Martin
Sage

Ran "Check and Repair", tried import, same problem

I had manually created the test file.

Yes, these are new contacts, I disable duplicate checking, tried import, same problem.

This is a shared database which is on our server as is the file in question.  Are you suggesting I try and import on the server itself?  Not sure I can do that.

Platinum Super Contributor

Correct - the next step is to sign into the database directly on the server.  We've seen on occassion that importing on the hosting machine will succeed where the workstation fails.  If you can't get access to the server, you could try from a different workstation to see if it is successful.  If it also fails, the next step is definitely getting on the server.

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Different workstation did work, thanks.