Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import company data from contacts

Accepted Solution Solved
BMI
Accepted Solution

Import company data from contacts

Is there a way to import data from a contact linked to a company to the company itself?

Thanks,

Cliff

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author BMI
‎11-22-2016 08:10 AM
Administrator

Re: Import company data from contacts

Hi Cliff,

If i understand correctly, the QSalesData addon will create a new Contact and Company, and will link the Contact to the Company, but only the Contact will contain the additional contact details (i.e. address, phone, etc.). If this is the case, I would suggest contacting the addon developer to feed back on the feature, and see if there are any settings that could be adjusted.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Cliff,

Yes it is. This can be done by linking Contact fields to Company fields. Here is a Knowledgebase article that details how this feature works: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19170

Edit: I am mistaken, please see my second post below.

Silver Contributor

If I read your question, you want to update a company with information from a contact. this is not a feature of ACT. the procedure Gary described will do the opposite. Update a contact or contacts from a company.

From his KB Article.

How to Update Individual Contacts:

Important Note:
Data in the Company linked fields takes priority over current data in the Contact record field. If you have data in the Contact linked field and the Company linked field is blank when you update data, the Contact field will be over written with the blank data from the Company field.

1. Launch ACT!.
  2. From the Contact view, locate the desired contact.
  3. Click the Contact menu, and then click Update Linked Contact.
  4. This will update only the current contact.

How to Update All Contacts:

Important Note:
Data in the Company linked fields takes priority over current data in the Contact record field. If you have data in the Contact linked field and the Company linked field is blank when you update data, the Contact field will be over written with the blank data from the Company field.

1. Launch ACT!.
  2. From the Company view, locate the desired company.
  3. Click the Company menu, and then click Update Linked Contacts.
  4. This will update all contacts that are linked to this company.
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

BMI

OK. I haven't had a chance to do what the KB article suggested, so I haven't stumbled across that yet. Are there any add-ons that might accomplish this?

Thanks,

Cliff

Silver Contributor

Gary, in my experience the flow if from the company to the contact, not from the contact to the company.  the only way to to push the contact to the company would be to create the company from the contact info.  

am I missing something?

Gary W wrote:

Hi Cliff,

Yes it is. This can be done by linking Contact fields to Company fields. Here is a Knowledgebase article that details how this feature works: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19170

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Apologies, I misunderstood the question. Yes, Jon is correct. Linking contacts to companies can only make amendments to the Contact records, not the Companies. I've updated my original post.

@BMI, could you please explain what you are trying to achieve? Give us an example, and we might be able to suggest something that could work for you.

BMI

Certainly! We currently use QSalesData to sync Quickbooks to Act!. It copies over the contact data, but there is no option to have put the same data into the company. We currently have to manually put the address, phone number, etc into the company.

I am checking to see if there is an easy way to populate the company address, phone, etc. by importing it from the contact that comes over from Quickbooks, as 95% of the time they will be one and the same (most of our customers are smaller cabinet shops, with only one owner/contact). I am looking for a one-time import option, rather than have them constantly synced.

Thanks,

Cliff

Administrator

Ah, so these are new contacts that are created, and are usually part of a new company?

It sounds like the "Create Company from Contact" feature would help you save some time here. Click the Contact menu and select this option when viewing the newly created Contact:

Act!_2016-11-18_10-06-18.png

This will create a new Company, and will copy the data within the linked fields on the Contact (company name, address, phone, ID/Status, etc) into the new Company. The Contact will then become linked to the Company.

BMI

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately, this won't work for us, as the import plug-in creates the Company -  it just leaves the address, phone number, etc fields blank.

Perhaps unlinking the contact from the blank company, deleting the company, and then create new company would work, but I am trying to save time & complexity for the guy going in after the sync, and I don't think that would be better.

I also appreciate the help everybody has been giving me on this; I will admit that this is a bit of an unusual problem.

Thanks,

Cliff

Solution
Accepted by topic author BMI
‎11-22-2016 08:10 AM
Administrator

Hi Cliff,

If i understand correctly, the QSalesData addon will create a new Contact and Company, and will link the Contact to the Company, but only the Contact will contain the additional contact details (i.e. address, phone, etc.). If this is the case, I would suggest contacting the addon developer to feed back on the feature, and see if there are any settings that could be adjusted.