Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import Wizard Won't Launch

Copper Contributor

Import Wizard Won't Launch

I have an Excel Spreadsheet to import into an ACT! 2007 database, but the Import Wizard won't launch.  The Export Wizard launches just fine.  I also tried on another user's computer and got the same result.  I'm logged in as an Administrator, and the other user is a Manager.  Any ideas?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Import Wizard Won't Launch

You will need to save the spreadsheet in a .txt or csv to import into a 2007 database but I would try the same steps on the server itself first.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

I've imported spreadsheets on numerous occasions; my problem is that the import wizard will not launch, either by clicking the command on the menu or by using the keyboard shortcut keys.  I've tried it on several different computers, as well as on the server itself, and while logged into several different databases but to no avail.  As I said before, the export wizard launches just fine.  Any suggestions?

Platinum Super Contributor

Since you've tried it on several computers I wouldn't think it was a broken installation - that would more likely affect a single computer.  Since you have tested with different databases, it doesn't appear to be an issue with the database.

And since you have previously been able to import, I would look to something more global to the environment - like your Anti-virus and Firewall software possibly blocking.  Have those been updated/changed recently?  Try adding exceptions for ACT! and SQL to the av/firewall software to see if it resolves the issue:  KB Article 25125

These would generally be applied at the server, but I recommend applying to both the server and workstations (server and 1 workstation to test). 

What happens when you select the Import function?  Does the ACT! program hang and require you to end it through the Task Manager?  Or does it appear to 'think' for a moment and then allow continued use?

Also; check the Event Viewer for any additional error messages.  Sign into the database on the server (not from workstation) > choose Import > check the Event Viewer. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

The firewall hasn't been changed, but just to try I turned it off (on both the server and a workstation) but it still wouldn't launch.  When I click on "Import" the drop-down menu just disappears as it should but nothing else - no hour glass, no delay, nothing.  When I use the keyboard shortcut keys, nothing happens as well.

Did you check the Event Viewer for errors after attempting to use the Import option?
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Yes, and no errors show up.  This really has me stumped.

Just to make sure:

Have you tested the function on the computer that hosts the database? 

Have you tested the function in a different database?  Open the ACT! Demo or create a new test database.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Yes to all the above, including the ACT! Demo database.

Copper Contributor

Just checking - does anyone have any other thoughts on this?