Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import New Fields from Excel

Import New Fields from Excel

I have 40 new fields to create in Act! 2012 and wondered if I can import those field names via an Excel spreadsheet.  Thanks for your help!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Import New Fields from Excel

[ Edited ]

Hello danajoredhead,
If you import the spreadsheet into your database, then at the Field Mapping screen during the import wizard, there is an option to create new fields if the ones in your spreadsheet are not already present in the database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Don't see this option.  I'm on Act! 2012 and don't see that option in the Import Wizard. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I should have given more detailed instructions:
- During the import, be sure to choose the "Custom" import type
- In the Field Mapping, for the new fields that are not in the ACT! database, select <Create new ACT! field> from the top of the field selection dropdown. You must do this for every new field in the list on the left that you don't have a matching field for in your database on the right.

This will only create the fields - you must still place them on your layout (Tools > Design Layouts > Contact). You will actually be prompted to do this at the end of the import.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks, Greig!  Actually, I made it through with your first instructions except I needed to get to my master database.  Everything worked great .. appreciate your help!