Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import/Export contacts from one ActDB to another while preserving group membership

Import/Export contacts from one ActDB to another while preserving group membership

Hi all 

I have two databases, both in Act 12 format. One of the databases has 17000 contact records spread across 50 groups. There are no notes, opportunities etc. as this is a newly created database from manual data entry.

I need to import this database into the other Act database. I tried going through the wizard but after the export had finished I had all of the 17000 contacts but not all of them were in groups any more. Is there another way of doing this - am I doing something wrong somewhere? I found a document on Sage's website which talked about doing group then contact lookups then:

1. Enable the Contact and group records option, (If you wish to modify the Options, do so before clicking Next) then click Next.
  2. Enable Current lookup, and then click Next.
But if I enable contact and group records in Act 12 the current lookup field becomes greyed out and I can only select all records.

I'm not at all sure whether I'm better off importing from the target database or exporting from the source database, which way round is best?

Thanks for any help

Ollie

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Import/Export contacts from one ActDB to another while preserving group membership

To export your Contacts and still have the Group association, you will need to export just the Groups first.  So, from your 17,000 contact database you will export and choose only the Groups.  Once that has completed go back through the export and select Contacts and Groups. 

I always recommend you create a backup of your target database before doing large imports/exports, just in case the results are not as expected.  You may also want to create a copy (File > Save Copy As) of your target database and export into it to test the results before exporting to your production database. 

You are correct, if you select Groups - the Current Lookup selection will no longer be available.   If you can point me to the article you were using we will review it for necessary updates.

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Import/Export contacts from one ActDB to another while preserving group membership

I am trying to export and preserve groups and have completed the export, however the contacts are not showing up in their groups in the target database.  I did export the groups first and that worked fine and they all showed up in the new db.  When I went back to export the contacts, I was able to see them in the new db but they are not showing up in the groups.  I exported using "current lookup" (by group).  I cannot select "contacts and groups" to export.  Once you click on groups, it grays out the current lookup option even if you also have contacts selected.  Can anyone help?  I don't want to have to manually put all of the contacts back into groups. 

BWS
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

Would someone please advise on this issue?  I'm having the same exact problem (Am using Act! Premium 2011 w/ latest hotfix)...