Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import Excel csv records into Act drops 100 of 500 records

Accepted Solution Solved
vb
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Import Excel csv records into Act drops 100 of 500 records

I have an Excel csv file with 500 records of customer data.  Nothing fancy, just customer, company and address information.  I import into Act 2007 and 100 of the records don't import.  They are located randomly throughout the csv file.   I have tried to enable duplicates and not enable duplicates, it doesn't change the result. 

It is tough to find a common reason, but I can say that it seems to be dropping customer records if there are more than 3 or 4 with the same name.  Is there some sort of limit in the code?  For example, with these company names and customer names, it won't import the last 2.

Company Name 1         Sam Adams

Company Name 2         Sam Adams

Company Name 3         Sam Adams

<blank>                            Sam Adams

Estate of Sam                 Sam Adams

Estate of Sam and Lily  Sam Adams

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author vb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
vb
Copper Contributor

Re: Import Excel csv records into Act drops 100 of 500 records

Thank you so much for replying to my post.  Sometimes it seems like there is somebody out there for everyone else's question, but your own.

I'll share what I finally realized I needed to do this morning.

Although I turned "enable duplicate checking" off, I didn't change the Contact Merge Options.  In the "If source and destination records are the same", I needed to choose "Merge."  I didn't really understand what "Merge" meant.  I thought it meant, try to merge the 2 records into 1.  But it means to go ahead and merge the record into Act, even if you end up with 2 duplicate entries.  Which is what I wanted, because the records are not identical, but they do have some of the same fields. 

It was hard, because I didn't know what fields that Act checks when it tries to determine whether the source and destination records are the same.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello vb,
If you copy some or all of the omitted records to a new Excel sheet and then save it as a .csv file, can you import those records?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Solution
Accepted by topic author vb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
vb
Copper Contributor

Thank you so much for replying to my post.  Sometimes it seems like there is somebody out there for everyone else's question, but your own.

I'll share what I finally realized I needed to do this morning.

Although I turned "enable duplicate checking" off, I didn't change the Contact Merge Options.  In the "If source and destination records are the same", I needed to choose "Merge."  I didn't really understand what "Merge" meant.  I thought it meant, try to merge the 2 records into 1.  But it means to go ahead and merge the record into Act, even if you end up with 2 duplicate entries.  Which is what I wanted, because the records are not identical, but they do have some of the same fields. 

It was hard, because I didn't know what fields that Act checks when it tries to determine whether the source and destination records are the same.

Platinum Elite Contributor

I'm glad to hear you were able to get your data imported in. To clarify some of the points you mentioned, you actually set the fields that ACT! checks when determining duplicates. Go to Tools > Preferences and click the Duplicate Checking Options button. You can choose up to three fields to match on. To be a duplicate, the data must be the same for ALL the fields you have chosen. For the Merge option, if two records are determined to be duplicates, it will "fill in the blanks", meaning it will put data from the source record into empty fields in the target, but if those fields already have data in them it will not overwrite.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig,
To your note, I am having a similar problem. I am importing from a Tab delimited file, and I have selected the "Merge" option. I have also enabled the duplicate checking option with 2 fields to match on. I want that ACT should fill in the blanks when if finds duplicates. However, I end up getting a new record each time. i.e. a lot of duplicates get created. Can you please tell me where I'm going wrong

If you find you need an AddOn to faciliate your importing, the best selling Import tool is OakMerge by E Tech - http://www.actaddons.com/products/2005/oakmerge.asp. Check out the comparison chart for which version does what. 

If you need to dedup with a more powerful tool than that in native ACT!, check out Duplication Wizard by Egen Consulting - You'll want to get at least the Plus version because that gives you 'fuzzy logic' (Bob & Robert....HP & Hewlett Packard, etc.). The Expert version deals mostly with Companies and Groups  - there's also a 'compare versions' link on this page too. http://www.actaddons.com/products/2005/duplicate_contact_wizard.asp