Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Implications of Moving Act 2009 Database to Win XP Shared Documents Folder?

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Implications of Moving Act 2009 Database to Win XP Shared Documents Folder?

What are the implications of moving all the Act 2009 data files to the All Users shared directory rather than a user account's My Documents?  I would prefer to have all the Act datafiles in one location to make nightly data backups easier. It seems straight forward, but perhaps there are gotcha's so any advice is appreciated.

We are migrating a 18,000 contact database from Goldmine to Act, using MigrateAdmin. I am setting up Act 2009 for use with Windows XP SP3 on four PC's (in a peer to peer wired network) and one laptop (a user's home PC that travels to the office). One PC, named ActHost, will host and share the Act database. ActHost will mainly be used for database maintenance and as a shared file server for documents.

Prior to installing Act on the other PC's I would install Act 2009 on ActHost and then use Act's backup and restore to move the database so that it is in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Databases.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author docEdoc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Implications of Moving Act 2009 Database to Win XP Shared Documents Folder?

Generally I setup an ACTdata folder directly off the root of the drive and share this rather than using the shared folders but what you are suggesting can be done if you prefer.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author docEdoc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Generally I setup an ACTdata folder directly off the root of the drive and share this rather than using the shared folders but what you are suggesting can be done if you prefer.

Paul Buchtmann

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Tuned Listener

Thanks for the tip. A folder at the root sounds like an easy way to reference the files. Do you do anything special about the folder's share in terms of permissions or the like?
Bronze Contributor

Best thing is full control and get it working and then if you want to fiddle a little bit do it after you have it all working
Paul Buchtmann