Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Images in mail merged e-mails appearing as attachments

Copper Contributor

Images in mail merged e-mails appearing as attachments

I am creating personalised e-mails via mail merge to a Group listing - so each person receives an individual e-mail.  The images in the .adt file remain in the e-mail, but also appear as attachments to the e-mail when it's received.  This problem began when I was forced to upgrade ACT because of a move to Windows 10.  The same problem happens on both of the 2 machines the new version of ACT has been installed on - previously this problem did not occur.

How can I send e-mails via mail merge which do not have the images as attachments as well as appearing in the e-mail?

Specifics:

Windows 10

Act! Pro Version 18.0.501.0, Hot Fix 5

Outlook 2016

Re: Images in mail merged e-mails appearing as attachments

Hi Tim, I apologise but this has been logged as a defect with your version of Act!, so we are aware of it and we are working to fix it now though I don't have a specific time frame when this will be completed.

If you did want an update on any progress with this bug, the defect has been logged with the reference D-04092 so please quote that when enquiring about it.

Copper Contributor

Oh dear!

thanks for the very prompt reply Steve - that's really appreciated.

I must say though that I am astonished with the amount of problems with the new software.  It has caused me a LOT of trouble, and way too much money because of the amount of time I've had to hire an IT consultant just to try to have ACT installed and running with basic functionality :-(

Let's hope that this fault is fixed soon...

Administrator

There is a workaround for this issue.

By using the Act ! E-mail editor, the emails will send without any images attached , and the selected image will appear in-line as intended.

This can be set up in Tools > Preferences > Email & Outlook Sync > E-mail System Setup > Step 4

Select Act E-mail Editor in the first dropdownSelect Act E-mail Editor in the first dropdown

This will change the default email editor when clicking the email button in Act, however this can quickly be changed back to Outlook after completing your mail merge.

Copper Contributor

Thank you - I'll try this next time around. 

At fear of stating the obvious though, it would be good if there was a fix rather than a 'work around'!

Still, I guess just ensuring the software somehow works is step in the right direction.  I'm still staggered at the amount of problems with the ACT software.  Doesn't say a lot for the testing prior to it being sold!

Administrator

[ Edited ]

We are still in the process of investigating the issue that causes this behaviour, but please be assured it is being tracked and worked on.

If you are experiencing any other issues, please don't hesitate to create new threads for them so we can offer advice.

Copper Contributor

Appreciate the supportive attitude.  Thank you.

The calendar issue is an irritant rather than something which is damaging the business.  When making an addition to the calendar you need to choose 'priority' last, as it automatically reverts to low status when any other fields are ammended.   Not worth taking the trouble to begin a thread on that though...

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Tim,

I've tried to replicate this calendar priority issue as you describe it, but the only action I see that resets the priority field to default (along with colour, alarm, and duration), is when the Activity Type changes. I've recorded this in the screenshot below:

2016-03-23_09-36-32.gif

This is expected behaviour, as each activity type has a separate customisable default setting. If you are regularly changing the activity type when creating a new activity, then setting the default priority preference for the that particular activity type to the most common priority, might help you save some time. You can find this preference in Tools > Preferences > Calendar & Activities > Activity Preferences.

Act!_2016-03-23_09-54-26.png

Are you seeing the priority field change to the lowest status when changing any other fields in the Schedule Activity window?

Copper Contributor

HI Gary

well, I've now tried this work-around with this month's Sales Tip that we distribute to all the people who've opted in to the mailing list.

I've tried twice, and the system crashes after the first 28 profiles have been mailed (first time tried), and then after the first 38 profiles had been mailed.  It comes up with an error message: The instruction at 0x0881fdde referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

So I guess that we can no longer send out our monthly contact e-mails to our customers.  Along with the 2 diary problems (changes additions part way through editing and the calendar won't print events), the way that you need to use a 'work-around' to be able to edit .adt templates, and the other bits and bobs of problems makes me rather less than impressed with this software :-(

Administrator

Hi Tim,

How many people are you sending the template email to?
I would recommend using Act emarketing for any email campaigns over 20 recipients. This is designed to handle large amounts of recipients, whereas desktop email clients are better suited to sending email to small groups of contacts.