Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Images in documents have red X in mail merge

Copper Contributor

Images in documents have red X in mail merge

[ Edited ]

I’m getting this same thing when using ACT! Pro 2012 and Outlook 2010 to do an email merge.

I can see the photos fine when I’m embedding them in my .adt template and send them, but the

images show up as a red X when opened in Outlook.

I’ve been using jpg photos, if I switch to .bmp should it fix it or is there still a problem with Outlook

interface handling graphics? We thought that issue had been fixed in this new version.

Please help, very frustrated we can’t send e-mail merges with embedded photos.

[edit: updated Subject to match issue]

Platinum Elite Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Images in documents have red X in mail merge

Mike,

Thanks for the link to the knowledge base articles. I'm still a little confused though because I am already using Outlook 2010 as my e-mail editor not the ACT Email editor and I'm still have the red x issue when sending e-mail merges using the .adt file.

The knowledge base article relating to Outlook didn't really add any additional settings to fix this so am I missing something? Thanks

Did you read all of the top one?

In Outlook 2010, it's:
File | Options | Trust Centre | Trust Centre Settings | Attachment Handling

Also check that the image is less than 32kb
Copper Contributor

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. I think our issue was the 32k size for each photo.

Why is it capped at that size? Is there any workaround to alow a document to accept larger photos and still be visible by the recipient. We deal with larger photo formats so it's rather inconvenient to have to resize photos.

There are various issues with the Outlook API in doing that ... for larger images, it's best to host them on a web site and link them
Copper Contributor

Thank you for explaining that.

Just one other question, we're also trying to find an easy way to export a group of contacts from ACT 2012 to a contacts folder in Outlook 2010 without doing the multi-step process of exporting to a .csv file and then importing into Outlook. That works, but I need a simpler, more streamlined way for my users to do this on their own. Possibly a one-way sync or push to Outlook that is already preconfigured? I tried setting up a sync set, but I can't seem to set the query as a group. Not sure if it's possible.

Again, I appreciate your expertise. Thanks!  

Copper Contributor

Mostly just to mail merge from. One of our users is more familar with Outlook and doesn't want to redo all his photo sizes in the template to comply with the 32kb size issue when initiating the merge thru ACT.