Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Imac, Parallel 4 and ACT 11 do not work together

Imac, Parallel 4 and ACT 11 do not work together

I have returned to Apple Mac (v10.5.6) after 18 years! The only problem to overcome in the change was to ensure that I could run two PC based programs that are essential for my business, eg Vallen acoustic emission system (www.vallen.de) and the Sage ACT 6. The solution per Apple is to run Windows in virtual, so I bought Parallel 4 and plus updated to ACT 2009. The Vallen VisualAE worked ok in windows, knowing beforehand that acquisition of data can only be made on a PC. However ACT 2009 did not work on Parallel 4 because the database requires to work under the C drive (quote: Sage at Newcastle, UK) as indicated by the file activation error `\\.psf\home\documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Databases\contact.ADF'

Is there a solution for ACT2009 is run in virtual?

Re: Imac, Parallel 4 and ACT 11 do not work together

The database needs to be in the virtual machine.

Ok I hear what you say, but surely the database is in the virtual machine because ACT2009 is loaded  in the OS (Windows XP) and Windows is operating under Parallel 4 (virtual machine). Could you please give me more detail?

thanks

Chris 

I do not know how Parallel works, but from the path in the error, its not pointing to the virtual machine drive.  Its looks like its going a to shared folder on the Mac OS.  I looked up the path and its brought up a couple listings about Parallels.  Some of the solutions for these types of errors was to disable Desktop Sharing.

OK, so what are you saying ask Parallel? 

regards

Chris 

No, I believe the issue you're having is the location of the database.  Are you able to create a new database or open the demo database?  If you can create a new database or open the demo, move your database to the same location.

To find the location of a database, follow the steps below:

-Go to Start > Run > actdiag

-Select Database > Database List.

-Find the database name and scroll to the right until you see Database File Location.

If you see the name of your database, right click > detach database.  Then you'll be able to move your database to the same location.