Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Ignored Obsolescence Policies?

Copper Contributor

Ignored Obsolescence Policies?

On the website it shows that Sage ACT! 2013 (15.x) products are eligible for support until 11/30/15. I would assume that this means that they have responsibility to fix a widely known problem ( the Google calendar integration problem) since the version is still in the support period. But there does not seem to be any effort to fix this issue with this version. There have been no released hot fixes to date for version 15.x. When is this going to be issued or has ACT! abandoned the issue. If so, is that an indication that future issues will also be abandonded if not convenient to the ACT! programmers?

Can a representative of the company answer this question?

Tetra Homes, Inc.
Cincinnati | OH

ACT! 2013 Pro
Windows 7 Ultimate
Office 2010 Pro Plus
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Ignored Obsolescence Policies?

At the time ACT! 15 was released, it worked with Google. Google changed their interface, that isn't a support issue. Your fis is to upgrade to the current version.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

The product was promoted as a sync solution with Google contacts and calendar and was bought for that reason. Version 16.x and 17.x got hot fixes for this issue so ACT! feels obligated to them. They should also make it work for 15.x since we are still in the Obsolescence Policy timeframe. Since Google gave the computing community a t least a six weeks notice on the changing of the API, ACT! should have been working on the issue prior to the sync just stopping. I expect my software to do what it was highlighted to do during the sales period. To do otherwise is a breach of their duty as a software provider. Upgrading to the newest addition is not always the answer for consumers until their are NEW features that are of value. I was happy with 15.x and it broke during the period in which they assured the community they would safeguard it from obsolescence. Certainly, you can't feel that if version 17.x mysteriously stopped updating databases but they just happened to roll out 18.x at the same time, we all should upgrade to that version instead of accepting that they have a duty to fix 17.x?

Tetra Homes, Inc.
Cincinnati | OH

ACT! 2013 Pro
Windows 7 Ultimate
Office 2010 Pro Plus

Try reading your license ageement. For one thing you'll find that you only have a license to use the program. As before, your option is to upgrade.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

I had issues with the Outlook integration which ACT said broke when Outlook changed their system.  I think ACT is so big that they can't keep on top of everything and they make a business decision to let features fall by the wayside because it's probably more profitable to spend time on newer versions.

After I solved the Outlook issue I started to get the "will not backup" issue, which is another known issue that, if the wheel lands on your name, you will lose ACT functionality.

Copper Contributor

I fully agree that I only have a licence to use the program. However, ACT! has a duty to provide the functionality of the program that I bought with the implied and actually guarentees of their sales literature. Otherwise, it might be viewed as "bait and switch". Especially during their published obsolescence period. Perhaps you'd like to enumerate what duties you think ACT! owes to us, the customer. You seem to beleive that "upgrade" is the only option for ACT! shortfalls. I beleive that there is a different legal standard.

Tetra Homes, Inc.
Cincinnati | OH

ACT! 2013 Pro
Windows 7 Ultimate
Office 2010 Pro Plus

The obsolescence period is a policy and applies to the availability of company provided technical support and the rights to a reduced price upgrade. It has nothing to do with when or if problems that are found would be corrected. Those policies have changed several times during my 20 year association with the ACT! program both as an employee and an ACC.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129