Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Identify and report contact records with changes to email contact field

Copper Contributor

Identify and report contact records with changes to email contact field

I have edited the email address field to track changes to it. I am looking for a way to search for all contact records during a specific period where the email address field has changed so that I can update our Constant Contact email system with the new, added or changed address. Ideally I would like to get them into a look-up so I can export the list. I know you can search for changes to records as I currently use that for sales activity but not clear how I can I.D. those records where the email address changed. Thanks for any help.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Identify and report contact records with changes to email contact field

The query you would like really can't be done. You can do a Lookup | Contact Activity and search histories for contacts with Field Change histories but the field change history type is generic and applies to any contact record field that has a field change. I believe that I could create a report that would then only highlight the records where the field change was to the email address but there wouldn't be any way to convert that to a lookup except manually. Sorry.

I took the liberty of going to the Constant Contact's web site. Unless you have a specific reason to use Constant Contact, you might want to look at Swiftpage Email (www.swiftpagee.com). It appears to do everything that Constant Contact does and they provide a direct connection to the ACT! database. That way you would not need to maintain two separate mailing lists.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Roy.  Is that www.swiftpages.com?  www.swiftpagee.com came back 404.

That is what I was coming up with but didn't know if I just didn't know enough about ACT. Is there a way through ACT or through an Add-on like Auto Fill Fields by the New Hampton Group to create a date field that is automatically updated when a change is made to the E-mail field?  Seems like that might be another option. I ask because though I like that Swift Pages idea we would be migrating a whole process someplace else and the organizational resistance might be fatal..to the process.

Also...it seems like most functions should be searchable as I was hoping....even if you just were able to filter it through the contact activity lookup function so you had a resulting look up on the screen.  Please pass along.  Thanks much.

Message Edited by jtbamford on 07-08-2009 11:14 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Here is the URL from the site. http://www.swiftpage.com/index.htm

I understand inertia. I may be able to suggest a few things not obvious. In checking both sites, it appears Constant Contact prices by the number of emails per month while Swiftpage prices by the emails per day so that a 1000 emails per day translates to up to 30,000 per month. I have clients that use Swiftpage and one uses the feature of having a signup page on their web site and then Swiftpage automatically adds the contact to the ACT! database. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I think I'll turn that over to our Marketing Director/Website Manager who oversees that and see if I can get that moving. 

In the meantime I'll need to figure something else out.  I'm going to check on the Add in angle.

What about having a process/program initiate when you change the E-mail field that asks you to put the date into an E-mail change date field? Haven't worked with the process function yet.

Also...I discovered that Constant Contact has a free ACT InfoTransfer tool that allows you to upload directly to your account from ACT.  You just have to be able to i.d. what you want to upload.

Copper Contributor

You can also run an Activity Series starting immediately on changing the e-mail field to require you to schedule a To Do to change the E-Mail Field Change Date field that I created. It's clunky but it works. Obvioulsy it doesn't do it for you but it makes you clear the To Do so it happens.
Copper Contributor

Finally there is another add on "Copy System Field" from the Add On Store for ACT that will copy system fields into non-system fields. They mention the E-mail field as a system field so you might be able to auto copy change tracking date from the system field into a E-Mail Date non-system field. $49 though so won't do it now. You can test before you buy.