Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Ideas for remote access Act Pro v21

Highlighted

Ideas for remote access Act Pro v21

Hi,

Like many others we're currently working from home. We use Office 365 and everyone has their access set up for that but ACT! is an issue. We currently have a machine hosting the database and users (4) have remote databases on their office machines and laptops. The laptops obviously have to be brought to the office to sync, which wasn't an issue until now. I considered setting up remote desktop connections to the office machines just for ACT but I'm not comfortable with the security implications of making that work without a VPN, and users aren't comfortable setting up port forwarding.

Other than setting up a VPN (I assume this still works, it's how we synced remote databases years ago), are there any other options? I'm not interested in upgrading act, we're actually well on a path to move away from it but not quite ready yet.

All suggestions welcome!

Highlighted

Re: Ideas for remote access Act Pro v21

I have the same problem. So I signed up for a free account of ProtonVPN and I tried to synchronize the remote with the parent database both from a different location/netwerk with VPN from the same VPN server with the same IP-adress. Ths didn't work. Itried the same at home within the same LAN and with the VPN on, on both devices and is worked. 

Who can help me with the solution?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Use ZeroTier on both sides. Works well, easy setup. If you have a robust Internet connection, you can connect directly to Act without messing with synchronization. 

Highlighted

Hi Katy,

Zero Tier did'nt worked out. Same result as ProtonVPN.

I'm looking for someone who also works with ACT Pro vs 21 and can tell me or wil show me with desktop sharing (I can arranged that) how he solved this problem.

Kind regards.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

We don't support clients outside our service area (St Louis, MO), Keystroke is a google outfit for remote support.

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

You might have a look at this article I did a while ago (still relevant) - https://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/11/supporting-remote-users-with-act-by.html

You can do sync with Pro - but the server needs to have the Act! database open all the time for it to work (it's an advantage of Premium not to need this)
Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Can you tell me which VPN system does work? I tried several but they didn't work.

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted

How is it not working? What happens?
VPN often doesn't pass the machine name. Can you ping the server machine name from the remote?
Try copying the PAD to their local machine, opening it in Notepad, and change the host to the IP address.
You'll also need to you ActDiag to change the datastore location to the IP as well.
Highlighted

Thanks Mike I will give that a go with changing to the IP. I had previously tried the TeamViewer VPN but it gave a sync error saying it couldn't connect to the remote machine.

Given only 2 days to sort out the working from home arrangement, and then people started taking home their office machines so I couldn't just give them remote desktop access to them, makes it difficult now with users I can't physically access.

Highlighted