Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

IMport from Excel for data Merge

IMport from Excel for data Merge

I exported 550 contacts to excel with no email address. I had someone research and discover the 550 email addresses and enter them into the excel spreadsheet. When I try to import the data back into the records, in hopes that it will pick up and fill in the new (blank) email address - it doesn't accept it. I can get it to create duplicate records, but not merge the new data into existing record. I am using Act premium for workgroups (2007 - 9.0)

It's coming from a .csv (tab) file. When mapping, the "preview" shows the email address. The 'contact merge options' I think I should use are 'merge' and 'do not add', but they don't work. All other combinations do not work either. The best I can get is a duplicate record. I can't get it to work in the demo version either.

I have tried it with 'check for duplicates' checked and not checked (preferences/tools).

I tried importing it into a blank user field - didn't work.

I have tried it on both the remote database and the primary database.

Ideas welcome...????

Thanks!

Anyone have any other ideas?

Need Help!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: IMport from Excel for data Merge

To import to a blank field, try this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1421...

Personally, I find the best way is to use itImport - the basic edition would be enough for your task

Re: IMport from Excel for data Merge

I know this question was from awhile ago, but after searching and trying for DAYS, I finally found the answer!  For Sage 2012, go to tools, preferences, and then Admin  (It's on the general tab in the older versions).  Find the Duplicate Checking tab and then match the field.  It allowed me to merge two spreadsheets with a variety of different information, something impossible to do in the import/merge.  I'm also hoping it allows me to update a large number of clients all at once.