Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ID/Status - Contacts & Companies - Best Practice

ID/Status - Contacts & Companies - Best Practice

I am new to Act! and am using Pro 2012.

I am trying to decide how best to use the ID/Status field in both Contacts & Companies.

I had expected there to be some likage between the 2 (ie if the Copmany is a Hot Lead then should its Contacts not automatically be classed as Hot Leads?) but this does not seem to be the case unless I am missing something.

So just wondering what the best practice is out there for using the ID/Status fields. Thinking that I should, perhaps, use the status to describe the decision making power of the Contact and interest in our products of the Company. Does this make sense?

Thanks

Chris

Tuned Listener

Re: ID/Status - Contacts & Companies - Best Practice

Chris,

The ID/Status can be used in the way that would be helpful for to understand the contact and how it is associated within your database. It can be used to describe a contact on how they are assigned to the database such as customer, contractor, Prospects, employee etc. It is a way to help group your contacts for a way to look them up for a mail out or just to look a group of contacts up to add them to a group etc. This field is also known as a history field. Basically if you alter this field if will generate a history with the date, time, and the user whom changed it. I hope this helps with understanding the ID/Status field. Thanks.

Larry Yates

Thanks for that Larry,

I think that I understand the way in which the field can be used.

My question is more about the ways in which other users have found to make best use of this field in a way which compliments the same (albeit unconnected?) field in the Companies screen.

Chris

I think I have the same query as Chris in that I understand what the ID/Status field is used for i.e. to segment/label your data.

The question for me is how do they relate to the Contact and Company so that you are getting the best out of Act! Surely there must be best practices which experienced users have found that work better than others

Example: if I have a Lead that then becomes Qualified do I label the Company, the Contact as Qualified or move it to a Group

I appreciate that all business situations will be different but I think its fair to say that if an "Act Consultant" (which I cannot afford) came and looked at my database they'd probably say ... "your best doing this in that situation because ....."

In a sales environment 

Anyone?

Bronze Super Contributor

If you decide that ID/Status is going to be values like "Lead", "Warm Lead", "Customer", "Lost Lead", etc., then it potentially makes sense to link the Contact ID/Status to the Company, because those descriptions logically could fit the individual and the organization.

However, as one of the prior posts mentioned using Contact ID/Status for defining the level of authority/decision making power than obviously this would not fit for the organization as a whole and therefor would not be a good candidate for linking.

BTW - While ACT! comes with a handful of fields that are "linked" between a company record and it's contacts records, you can create your own links, even on custom fields.  To assign a link (as an ACT! admin user), from Tools Menu, Define Fields (after having created whatever fields on both record types you are to use), select the contact field you want, Edit it, and in the second step of the wizard, you will see where you can activate the link to a company field.

Note - once fields are linked, they do not retroactively update, nor do the update if you link contacts and companies that were created individually from each other and linked later.  However, if you have a company record, and while viewing it, you use the Create Contact From Company tool from the Company menu, the new contact record will include all linked field values.

Likewise, if you have a contact record from which you create a company record (from Contacts menu), it to will put the values into the new Company record.

To update all linked fields in all linked contacts, from the Company screen, use Update Linked Contacts from Companies menu.