Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I need to work with ACT! on 2 home computers. I am not on a server. How can I move between computers? Can I use a flash drive? ACT! Pro 2011

I need to work with ACT! on 2 home computers. I am not on a server. How can I move between computers? Can I use a flash drive? ACT! Pro 2011

I work at home. I have ACT! Pro 2011 on my desktop and laptop. I am not on a server. I need to be able to download/save my contacts and their notes, history and other information onto a flash drive and then plug that into my laptop and continue to work with those files. As I understand it, I can't use any kind of sync because I am not on a server. How can I use both of my home computers. I take the laptop when I have to be in the field, so I need to be able to keep this database up to date on both computers. Any help is appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: I need to work with ACT! on 2 home computers. I am not on a server. How can I move between computers? Can I use a flash drive? ACT! Pro 2011

No you can't use a flash drive. You don't need to have a "server" for sync, all you need it to have the two computers networked together. If you have a router to allow sharing your home internet connection you have everything you need to setup a network between the two computers and then you can do the sync via that network.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: I need to work with ACT! on 2 home computers. I am not on a server. How can I move between computers? Can I use a flash drive? ACT! Pro 2011

I agree with Roy that using a flash drive would be cumbersome and could possibly result in data loss. Using remote sync would be the best option. If you don't have a home network but both computers can access the Internet, then you could use Hamachi VPN to network the machines and sync through that. Instructions to setup Hamachi are in KB Article 23333.This article also contains a link to another article on how to set up remote sync.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you! I went to the site and it referenced versions of ACT! through 2010. Does it also support 2011 and do  you know if there are any differences in the setup?

Roy, can you give me a link to the instructions to do this? I have a router here and can set up a home network. I will try that first and if I have difficulty, I will try the other option suggested. Thanks.

The setup would be the same for ACT! 2011.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Just a follow up to let you know that I went to the site and followed the directions to create the remote database and then restore it to the 2nd computer. It worked perfectly and I appreciate your help.