Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I need a patient person to explain backing up a database for me...

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

I need a patient person to explain backing up a database for me...

[ Edited ]

Hi! I keep reading on here about backing up databases and I am trying to follow along but I kind of need someone to walk me through it. Is it my understanding that the backup would be there in case the orignal failed or was deleted somehow?

Message Edited by imcamel on 10-01-2008 12:02 PM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author imcamel
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: I need a patient person to explain backing up a database for me...

IM,

Open your database and then select file, Backup

Then select Database

When the box come up you can use the Browse button to have the backup saved to a location where you can later copy it to a CD or memory stick. You can also point this to a memory stick if you have inserted it before beginning this process

Give the file a name like ACT backup 100208.zip (I suggested adding the date so you can keep multiple backups)

Then click on OK to begin

Once it is complete you will receive a message that it is done

Now on a regular basis do another backup and if you have followed the first instruction the part you need to change is the date and then go OK and you will have a 2nd, and 3rd backup if you have a problem.

HTH

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author imcamel
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

IM,

Open your database and then select file, Backup

Then select Database

When the box come up you can use the Browse button to have the backup saved to a location where you can later copy it to a CD or memory stick. You can also point this to a memory stick if you have inserted it before beginning this process

Give the file a name like ACT backup 100208.zip (I suggested adding the date so you can keep multiple backups)

Then click on OK to begin

Once it is complete you will receive a message that it is done

Now on a regular basis do another backup and if you have followed the first instruction the part you need to change is the date and then go OK and you will have a 2nd, and 3rd backup if you have a problem.

HTH

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

I would like to know how to save the act program to a disk......plus all the items I have deleted...how do I get them to delete all at once instead of each individual one.

Copper Contributor

cd51owens@aol.com wrote:

I would like to know how to save the act program to a disk......plus all the items I have deleted...how do I get them to delete all at once instead of each individual one.

As far as the program files go you could simply copy the contents of your ACT program folder to another drive. Naturally that will not save any registry settings.

What do you mean by 'deleted items'? Contact information is deleted from the database at the time you delete a contact, and is not recoverable.