Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I imported my old database info into a new one and now some fields are greyed out and blank. How do I fix this?

I imported my old database info into a new one and now some fields are greyed out and blank. How do I fix this?

I was getting error messages when trying to repair and/or backup my database (ACT Pro 16) and I couldn't resolve the issue.

I decided to create a new database, also ACT Pro 16) and import my old databse information into it. It is working fine and allows me to do a backup and check and repair with no issues.

The only problem I have is that about 6 of my contact fields are now greyed out and not showing any information in my new one. I am using my old layout.

These fields also don't appear in my list of fields for editing purposes.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bronze Contributor

Re: I imported my old database info into a new one and now some fields are greyed out and blank. How do I fix this?

Hello levprompt ...

You don't state exactly how you created the new database, but it appears that customized field were not made.  I assume you were doing the export and import to filter out any bad data. 

There are two things I would suggest .....

1.  To help those who are more technical than I, could you post the type of errors you were getting?

2.  When creating the new database from the old one, click on File | Save As | Create an empty copy of the database.  Once created, open it and make sure you have access to all the fields that were created and even create a test profile.  You should then be able to export from the old db to the new db. 

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Re: I imported my old database info into a new one and now some fields are greyed out and blank. How do I fix this?

Thanks for your response, John.

Just to teach me a lesson, I suppose, after over 3 months of not being able to back up my file or do a check & repair, all of a sudden my error messages are gone. I can't remember what it was exactly, but it had to something to do with parent controls, I think.

In any event, my original file now seems to be backed up fine. Time will tell.