Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I fought the law and the law won....

Nickel Contributor

I fought the law and the law won....

[ Edited ]
Well,  if anyone reading these forums hasn't gotten to a point of getting hysterical and turning into a foam-at-the-mouth blithering idiot,  let me be the first to introduce myself.

Let me explain,  I was referred to the developer's blog and downloads.  Not being a programmer myself,  one would think that trying something there and using it to see if it might enhance this useless software's functionality would be safe.  Make no mistake about it.  This software has limited functionality...

Was I ever wrong.  I tried downloading the "middle pane" addon to see how it might work. 

I had to uninstall my ACT 2007(9.0) and now I am getting this message:

Act 2007 is not supported on this edition of SQL Server 2005. 

What?????  It was working before I uninstalled it.  I also did a clean uninstall also.

Thanks ACT! Thanks SAGE!  

How sad. Now I have to wait another day or two to really fix this.

Real anger again.

-P

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-12-2008 11:52 AM

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-12-2008 11:53 AM
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: I fought the law and the law won....

I am sorry that you had problems with the middlepane add-on.
I don't want to second guess the steps you took, but wanted to let you know that most add-ons in ACT! can be "uninstalled" by deleting the DLL from the Add-on/Tools directory.  Certainly, reversing the installation instructions (deleting the DLL you copied to the Tools directory) normally does the trick.

To be clear, I developed the MiddlePane sample on 9.0.1, so it should work on 9.0.1 and above. 

Pierre
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]
Just an apology?  Let me guess.  I'll have to pay some hack from your company to fix this right? Just to let you know I have the most updated version of 9.0.   

People,  this will be a true test of what this company is all about.  They either fix this or they show their true colors.

Just an apology.

-P

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-12-2008 08:14 AM
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]
By the way Pierre,

The first thing I did was go to layout design and unclick it and unclicking it wouldn't let it go away.  I closed ACT! and opened it up again and it was still there on the contact layout.  I went to designer again and tried to get rid of that little control on the design AND IT WASN"T THERE.  Reclicking the checkbox did not bring up that little control on layout design.  It was gone.  Dragging a new one caused a message to display saying it was already on the layout. Well, call me a monkey's uncle!

I went to the folder and pulled it out of the folder and opening up ACT! caused a message on my layout to say that there was an error on the layout and I couldn't see anything..  So off i went to put it back into the folder and the layout view came back.

As an aside,  just looking at it was driving me up a wall because it was MUTATING my tabs.  It was actually causing tabs to mutiply on the tab bar after dragging the tab to the bar and also it was not dragging the proper tab. I dragged the documents tab and I got the history tab to view.

What really stinks is that it doesn't hold the view and SIZE when ACT is reopened.  You have to drag and resize it again.   As a suggestion,  you could get rid of that drag bar.  It hurts the eyes.  At least make it smaller and the font smaller also.  It doesn't blend with the rest of the layout.

So there's your program in a nutshell.

Someone better help me.

-P

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-12-2008 11:35 AM
Copper Contributor

Hi P,

I will attempt to address your concerns with some tips and thoughts about Installing / Uninstalling:
1st, in my experience installing / uninstalling ACT! a number of times, the main issues usually are a result of Microsoft SQL Server (No, I am not trying to blame anyone, just trying to point you in the right direction I hope).  When I get my system in a twist, I usually follow the following process to uninstall cleanly.

I Uninstall ACT! using the Uninstaller on my machine (under C:\Program Files\ACT!....)
I then make sure SQL Server in Unintsalled.  I do that by going to add-remove programs and ensure that I have uninstalled MS SQL Server.
I then Open the file system and look for SQL Server files.  These are usually under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server (Note that you may have other applications using MS SQL Server? I personally have the media to all my applications, so I am a bit more blaze about uninstalling SQL Server as I know I can get it back if I need to.  You may want want to be more specific.
I then go to C:\Program Files\ACT\... and delete everything there (Again, if you have add-ons etc, you may want to simply back that up instead so you do not loose anything.  A good technique is to rename the folder to ZZ...so, as far as ACT! is concerned, it is deleted, but as far as you are concerned you know where to get it...Same goes for MSSQL Server above)

I then install ACT!.

Note, that your databases NORMALLY reside in My Documents\ACT!.  DO NOT DELETE THESE...You will loose data if you do.   In general, the whole rename strategy works the best in my opinion.

I do hope this will get your system back to working order...In normally works on my machine...

Finally, I wanted to let you know that the "hack" responding to your posts is the SVP of Technology for ACT! and that while I can certainly understand and see that you are frustrated, I am only willing to carry on a dialogue with someone who is reasonable and professional. I am willing to work with you in the future provided that we can do so in a constructive manner.

Cheers

Pierre

Pierre,

Aha, the SVP of Technology. I'm glad I have found the guy who can hopefully answer a question I have concerning SQL Server.

Both ACT and Quickbooks did not open and this started two days ago. I spent two hours last night with Microsoft tech support manually uninstalling .NET Framework 2.0 and then reinstalling it and all its service packs. When done, my Quickbooks and ACT apps worked again.

But the automatic updates to SQL Server from Microsoft still fail. When I try to uninstall SQL Server I get an error message.

Do you know of any free-ware utilities that will uninstall SQL Server Express 2005?

Thanks!

Jeff
Nickel Contributor

Pierre,

I tried to uninstall the Microsoft SQL Server folder and it won't.  Any other ideas?

Even the most beloved software in the world (Act 2005) somehow didn't recognize it and it said it detected an unsupported instance of sql 2000

i tried to start with 2005 and then add the hotfix and then go on with 2007 over it, but that won't work.

I need this up and running by Noon(Eastern Standard time)  on Monday.  I can't have it any other way.

Nickel Contributor

Finally got it installed.  It now says "an Instance with the same name already installed on this computer. To proceed with SQL SERVER SETUP, please provide a unique instance name "

Huh?

-P
Nickel Contributor

Sliced it, diced it. Did everything that I needed to do,  but it still says the same thing.  The knowledgebase took my on a 3 hour adventure.
Well,  it's close to garbage time for this "thing" I don't know what else to call it.  You beat me Sage.  You won.

-P
Nickel Super Contributor

If you are getting this error message when attempting to install SQL, then it is still finding a reference to the ACT7 instance in the registry.

First thing you will want to do is remove any SQL Componants through Add/Remove Programs that did manage to get installed.
VSS Writer, MSMXL 6.0, SQL Setup Support Files, SQL Server Native Client or SQL Server 2005

Once that is done, you'll need to clean out ACT 7 references in the registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\MSSQL$ACT7
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLCTR$ACT7
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLAgent$ACT7
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQL$ACT7
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SQLAgent$ACT

If you do not have any other SQL instances installed for other products, you can delete the whole HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server key

If you do have other SQL instances installed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
- Highlight and delete the ACT7 reference in the right pane

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\ACT7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Serve\Instance Names\SQL
- Highlight and delete the ACT7 reference in the right pane

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQl.1 (may be mssql.2 depending if other instances are installed)

Reboot the machine, verify that SQL Server (ACT7) is not running in the Services
Delete the MSSQ.1 folder from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
If no other SQL products are installed, you can remove the whole folder

Once this is done, you can reinstall SQL.

If ACT is already installed on the machine, run the SQLInstall.exe file under the Dependancies folder of your install CD. If ACT is not currently installed on the machine, just run the normal install.