04-17-2011 09:15 PM
Can anyone please advise?
I set my columns to different widths but all columns keep jumping back to all being the same short width.
I have to re-set the column widths many dozens of times a day which is very frustrating and time wasting.
I do have Yes/No fields in the list view but I need these there all the time.
I have applied Hot Fix 3 but that has not helped.
04-18-2011 05:51 AM
What operating system are you running?
If it is Vista or Windows 7, try running ACT! 'As Administrator'. To do this: close ACT! > right click on ACT! icon > select 'Run As Administrator' > test.
- Do the column widths stick while you are in the session?
- Do they reset after closing/reopening?
- How do you close the ACT! program?
- Do you use multiple databases?
04-18-2011 05:00 PM
I run Windows 7.
- Do the column widths stick while you are in the session? No. I go into list view, change columns, click into a signle record, then do any search for a new lookup by any field - when I look in resuts in list view - they have all jumped back to same small size. This means they reset pretty much all the time - maybe up to 50-100 times per day.
- Do they reset after closing/reopening? Yes
- How do you close the ACT! program? Usually the correct way (File > Exit) but I've checked and the same thing happens (columns reset) which ever way you close - ie File > Exit, OR click on red 'x' box in top right hand corner of screen.
- Do you use multiple databases? I have 2 but have only used the same 1 for the last 2 months.
04-20-2011 07:12 AM
At first glance, this would appear to be an issue with saving the ACT! Preferences (hence the suggestion for 'Run As Admin'), to make sure this is the case - open the ACT! Demo database and test setting the columns and see if they stick.
If the columns in the Demo do not stick, I would recommend recreating your ACT! Preference files. Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 14770
04-20-2011 07:16 PM
I tested a different database - opened it and the column widths HAD stuck since last time I used it 2 months ago. Played around with it - column widths stayed ok. Excellent.
Went back to my daily database, removed the 2 columns which are Yes/No columns - immediately columns widths bounced back to previous custom settings! Played around with it, columns widths stuck just fine. Excellent again.
So the promblem is almost certainly due to the the Yes/No fields in list view.
BUT... I need the Yes/No columns up all the time in list view, so can you please advise what to do next.
FYI - I did a separate post a few months ago about the frustration of not being able to SORT Yes/No fiels in list view in Act 2011, by clicking on column heading (always could in previous versions). I guess this could be a different part of same problem. Perhaps Sage can fix these Yes/No fields in list view and fix a few different problems at once? Look forward to your advice...
04-21-2011 07:48 AM
I've been testing this and have found some inconsistency with the display. What I have found is that after adding a Yes/No field and setting the column widths:
- the columns widths will retain when moving back and forth from screen to screen, until a Contact Lookup is performed.
- the results of the Lookup will set the columns back to the default width.
Note: my tests show that only the columns to the right of the Yes/No field will be reset.
- when a Lookup > All Contacts is performed, the customized column width is presented correctly.
Can you verify that these are the same results you are receiving? I'm going to submit this to Development and want to make sure I am addressing your issue.
If these are the results you are experiencing, the only work-around I have at the moment is to place the Yes/No field to the right side of the List view so that the other columns will not resize.
04-21-2011 07:14 PM
I have thoroughly checked and yes, ALL these results are the same with me.
These Yes/No fields have 'behaved' in list view for years - do you think it will take long to get them back working properly?