Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I can't import from a txt file into my ACT! 8 database.

I can't import from a txt file into my ACT! 8 database.

I am having problems importing data from a text file. I have used ACT for a year. I have a client database that I have exported only contact fields for a group of client into a text file. I have created a new database for the upcoming year and I am trying to import that data into the "new" database. I go to the File screen and select Import and follow all the steps properly (or I think) and I map the fields (which are the same anyways) and the few clients I exported all show up as I scroll through. When I complete the merge the status bar shows and it takes a few moments. It looks like it's going to work, but then doesn't pull any new information in. I have tried a few times. I don't know what else to do.

Also for some reasonthe very first field in the txt file alternate number it pulls in the " also. I don't think that would matter because I map it and it picks up the field.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

Copper Super Contributor

Re: I can't import from a txt file into my ACT! 8 database.

In a text file the quotation mark has a significance as a delimiter try your original export as a tab delimited text file and see if that cleans it up.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA