Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I can't get the fields to match up when I download from an excel sheet into my ACT!

I can't get the fields to match up when I download from an excel sheet into my ACT!

I can't get the fields to match up when I download from an excel sheet into my ACT! My operating sysrem is Vista and I have purchased ACT 2008. What's wrong here?

Renee
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: I can't get the fields to match up when I download from an excel sheet into my ACT!

Not sure what you mean by "fields to match up".

Can you state the steps you use and where you get something different from what you expect

Re: I can't get the fields to match up when I download from an excel sheet into my ACT!

I use the wizard to import the data from an excel sheet into my ACT. I have converted it to a csv delimited file and when I am asked to define the fields I enter the information row by row. The file imports and some the info is there, but it is in the wrong place. Some of it does not import at all. For example, the email address will be in the address slot and the contact name will be in the phone slot and the phone number will be missing entirely. The only thing that is ever in the correct place is the company name.
Copper Contributor

If you have saved you Excel sheet as a CSV fiel to import then check there are no extra commas in the sheet as it will mess up the import.

Open the CSV file in Excel
Click Edit >  Replace
Find what: = , Replace with = <press your space bar>
Replace all
Save the sheet and try the import again.

A CSV file is a comma seperated value file which means each of the values is seperated by a ",". The way the file tells a program to start a new column is to seperate each value by a ","
So if you were to view the file in notepad it would appear something like this:
name,company,phone number,adress1,adress2,city,email etc
If some of your cells in the sheet have a comma in the data it can throw things out of sync.
For example if your address 1 for a contact is : The old barn, Old street
The comma after The old barn would shift Old street into the next column, menaing all values after that would be a column over and when you import all the data would be in the wrong fields.

Basically just make sure you dont have any commas in the data you are importing.

Thanks, Broony. I'll do that and let you know how it works!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor

Let me know if it works

TADA!!! Thank you, thank you! xxoxoxoxoSmiley Very Happy
Copper Contributor

Awsomesauce!!