Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I am trying to use ACT 10 on my laptop and my desktop at work...

Copper Contributor

I am trying to use ACT 10 on my laptop and my desktop at work...

I would like to use my Desktop at work as my main computer and then work at home my laptop on the same database, then come to my desktop and update my work I've done at home and vice versa. they are not networked. is there an easy way to do this?
Nickel Contributor

Re: I am trying to use ACT 10 on my laptop and my desktop at work...

You'll have to follow the steps for setting up syncronization on your main computer at work, but it is very easy to do without the need for networking.

- The basic setps are enabling the host computer to support syncing.

- this involves creating a sync set, which will include the sync port you'll use for syncing (default is 65100)

- witht he sync set complete, you'll cut a Remote Database Backup file that will be restored on your laptop.

- once restored on your laptop, it will containt he information necessary to find the sync host when you're connected at work.

- remember to open the sync port in the Windows Firewall on the host computer.

These instructions assume you can connect the laptop to a switch or router at work. They don't have to be part of the same network, but they will need to be part of the same IP subnet.

Good luck.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

One caution on this.  Think carefully about which machine will be your main computer/database.  Some functions as I learned the hard way aren't available on the remote database.  For example if you decide you want to create new layouts and thus need to add fields.  You can not create fields on a remote database.  Only the prime.  Originally I created the main database on my desktop and the remote on my laptop.  I had to reverse this,  not hard but annoying,  when I realized I needed this ability on the laptop since that is what I work with most of the time. 

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your help. does this mean i have to bring my laptop in to the office? I was wanting to just save it on a portable hard drive and carry that back and forth...any easy way to do that?

Platinum Elite Contributor

No.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Unfortunately no. One of the sadder weaknesses of ACT!  I wished that you could just take the database on that or better a thumbdrive and sync it and then bring it back and sync it to your remote.  But alas you have to physically connect it via a router of sometype.  If you have the internet version of ACT you can sync through the web in some fashion. I only have the regular version so I have to carry the laptop back and forth when it's time to sync.  I find syncing once a week unless you are making lots of changes sufficient but I have only been at it a month myself.  Maybe someday they will enhance this feature but for now it's a limitation.