Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

I Pad and ACT! and Outlook

Nickel Contributor

Re: I Pad and ACT! and Outlook

That was some good "back and forth". I'm one of those tech junkies that tries everything. I tried ACT Mobile Live about a year ago. It was flawed in several areas, most noticeable was the slow speed up and downloading including dead stop hangups. I've used Companion Link, on and off, for ACT on different handheld devices going back to a clunky Treo. About 3 months ago I called HHC and was told it did not work on iPad but HHC "receives the code from Apple" but the person on the phone would not comment if HHC was working on something for iPad. I see you guys are mentioning a HHC Version 4. I am running HHC Pro Version 3.2.3.0. I don't see a 4 on their site so I guess it is going to be the March release you mention. I agree with the comments about Apple. I see where you can get Outlook data onto an iPad via ITunes. Maybe it's my age but I never liked iTunes except with an iPod and then, it still tries to be in charge. I'm on the road daily and mostly just need all of my contacts data and my calendar schedule. HHC works fine on the Blackberry but the screen is small. And the Toogle Details on the Calendar do not stay "on". Every time you open HHC and go to the calendar you have to turn on the Toogle Details.

Platinum Elite Contributor

HHC worked on the iPad once Apple updated the iPad to iOS 4.2 (November 24th)
It's the Apples iOS version we were referring to, not the HHC version.

Toggle details should remain... but there also have a new version for BB due this quarter
Nickel Contributor

Ben states "but without the calendar view (so one can see visually the gaps in the schedule) it isn't worth using (in my own humble view)." In looking at the Companion Link site and thier list under Sync iPad with ACT! and a section titled "Data We Sync" they list "Calendar and Calendar Activities - meetings, calls, events," etc. They also show a screen shot of their calendar on an iPad. Looks good to me. When using Companion Link in past years my best success was doing a daily sync with cables. Their wrieless system did not work too well. It too was very slow to up and download and would freeze part way through a sync. I wonder if their wireless works better these days?

I demonstrated to a number of ACCs today how easy it it for both CompanionLink and Sage Mobile for ACT! (latest versions of both) to cause data problems and/or duplication in the ACT! database.

HHC will have the calendar in 6 weeks... but even without, it is the leader of you actually need the data to be reliable.
Nickel Contributor

ACT can be scheduled to automatically sync Contacts and Calendar with OUtlook. What aobut using Apple MobileMe on an iPad which will syn back to Outlook and then into ACT?

The ACT!/Outlook sync has the same bugs in it (and some worse ones) as the Sage Mobile Live.

For a start, the lack of country code, means it can't be used by anyone who deals with people internationally or who travels internationally.

It also causes both duplication of data AND loss of data.
Nickel Super Contributor

Handheld Contact does have an iPhone version.  Current build is missing a graphical calendar (it's got a ToDo list), but if you need contacts and a task list it's OK.

If you want the full functionality of ACT!, you might consider logging in to your PC remotely with either LogMeIn (which is what I do) or using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP).

Carol Gilliland and I both wrote some review articles on these options and I've created a step-by-step guide and videos to help others get this set up.  This link goes to the blog post with the guide link and also links back to the other articles.

http://www.yourcrmhero.com/blog/bid/52753/ACT-on-iPad-Using-LogMeIn-or-Remote-Desktop

Hope that's helpful, would love feedback either here, on the blog, or on YouTube.

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training

The version with calendar will be available next month.

Remote login versions, require internet access to be able to use the data, which seems (at least to me) to defeat the putpose of using an iPad
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author barrygou
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

I've used GoToMyPC for years when I'm out of town and in someone eles's office or on a hotel lobby PC. It works great. But, as mentioned, it probably defeats the purpose of having an iPad. And having my full PC desktop appear on the iPad screen may be a little squeezed. My purpose of an iPad is to carry something lighter than a laptop, with less Internet sing on hassles, and the desire to have ACT, via HHC, on the iPad. March is not that far away and I have talked directly with HHC and they will have the Calendar for iPad then.

Nickel Super Contributor

Depends on your reason for having an iPad, I suppose.  I use mine to avoid the weight and boot up time of a notebook.  I realize not everyone is going to use 3G, but it's $15/month in Canada for 250MB (wireless data is expensive in Canada) and that's been enough for me, since it kicks over to wireless at home or the office.  I also like the fact that full access means I can look up custom table data - like support plans or serial numbers.

I guess if you're flying so often or selling out in the sticks, wireless solutions aren't great, but seriously how many notes are the majority of users going to put in while they're on the plane?  I can't remember the last time I was out of WiFi or 3G coverage - even my last camping trip had a signal (not that I try to make a habit of doing business while camping!)

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, but it's worked well for us at Hero and I consider it a viable option.

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training