Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hyperlinks to a file

Hyperlinks to a file

Hi ! bit of a long question to start me off...

I recently converted a client's ACT5 database to ACT 2009. The main problem I had was converting the huge number of attachments (96,000) they had. The conversion process failed when it came across a contact that had more than around 300 attachments on it's own.

I thought I'd overcome the problem using the excellent Cornerstone's "red flags" program. What that can do is turn attachments into hyperlinks in the notes, so I disconnected the drive where the attachments were, did the conversion, and could read nad use the hyperlinks to the files, in the notes tab. For example:

file:///X:\Document\2842\Letter%20to%20Loss%20Adju%2016%202%2000.wpa would open up the file.

Except, after opening the note, the hyperlink (underlining) disappeared, and none of the hyperlinks to files work now.

Any ideas?

Re: Hyperlinks to a file

[ Edited ]
Have you tried converting the database attachments as shortcuts?  If you haven't, try doing the conversion again on a database that you didn't run Redflags.
Message Edited by dlunceford on 01-30-2009 11:35 AM

David,

Thanks for your reply,

I had problem converting to either shortcuts or attachments on the old database before I bought and used red flags - on several different PCs and a server. I bought red flags to try and find out why it wouldn't convert the attachments/shortcuts, and found red flags has a facility to create hyperlinks in notes - to the attachments.

After talking to UK technical support, I discovered that there is a bug in version 11, which prevents file hyperlinks displaying correctly in the preview window of notes.

So I still don't know why the conversion process with attachments halts after around 300 attachments have been converted.

And I know know if the hyperlink bug will be fixed.

Just as a matter of interest, can you do a little test for me. On a note, in the details, create a link to a file, for example, file:///c:\Documents\11508\letter.doc Does it display correctly underlined?

Bob.

No, it doesn't hyperlink.

Thanks for checking - I was told it did work in version 10.

Bob.