Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hyperlinked Companies

Hyperlinked Companies

I'm realizing ACT! can be treated like its Company driven or Contact driven, and I'm leaning towards contact driven.

Anyway, my question is, can I un-hyperlink companies that show in the company tree view. For example, when I add a new contact, I fill in the company field, but I link it to the company, which keeps it out of the company tree view (but is searchable). But, I already have companies that are linked, that I would like to revert back to being unlinked. Can this be done? Less companies in the tree view would be easier to manage, particularly because I rarely re-visit them.

Secondary question. Its impossible to do a search query with Company ID/Status, only Contact ID/Status, right? The closet I camp to replicating this is using the company list, then organizing by ID/Status.

One more while I'm here. Is it possible to customize fields for some companies or contacts without chaning it for all. Another words, I might to view different information for a customer versus vendor.

I'm really trying to get the first one answered for now, but I look forward to any feedback. Thanks!

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Hyperlinked Companies

[ Edited ]

...One more while I'm here. Is it possible to customize fields for some companies or contacts without chaning it for all. Another words, I might to view different information for a customer versus vendor...

It is not possible to add fields to some records but not others.  

But it IS possible to set up different LAYOUTS for vendors than for customers (for example), and then display some fields on one layout but not another.  

You could duplicate a layout, and then modify it, so that you have a "Vendor" layout that is quite different, and has the required fields.

hope that helps...

Luis Rodrigues

PS: There is a related post on this just recently http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Conditional-layout-based-on-choice-in-field/td-p/107764)

Bronze Contributor

Hi Jeffrey and welcome to the ACT Community Forum.

Your question:  

Anyway, my question is, can I un-hyperlink companies that show in the company tree view. For example, when I add a new contact, I fill in the company field, but I link it to the company, which keeps it out of the company tree view (but is searchable). But, I already have companies that are linked, that I would like to revert back to being unlinked. Can this be done? Less companies in the tree view would be easier to manage, particularly because I rarely re-visit them.

If I understand yoru question correctly, you have contacts with companies that are blue and underlined.  That means there is a companies view.  You would like to have companies that are not.  The answer is yes.  If you don't want all contacts for a company to show in the company view, then just delete the company from the company view.  That will "un-hyperlink" the company, but still leave the company name in the company field.

If you want to just remove individual contacts from the company view, then in the box to the right of the company name, click on the 3 dots.  You will then have the choice of unlinking (and keeping the company name in the field) or linking to another company.

Hope that helps, but please respond if that didn't answer your question.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Louis, Thanks for the info and link to the app for multiple layours.

John, Thanks, worked like a charm,  I figured that would delete everything permanently, but nowI better understand the difference between a company and a contact, and that it just deletes the company, and leaves the contact, good to know.

To broaden the question a bit. Whats the benefit of having both companies and contacts? For someone with several contacts at one company, and re-visits them regularly I see the use of it. But for me, I have just one contact 90% of the time, and once done with the customer, and rarely re-visit them.  So, is there something I'm missing? Because, it just seems to be extra data entry, over -stuff's the company tree, and makes the database bigger. Especially since lookups only use fields from contacts and not companies. Is it possible I'll someday wish I had a company linked to each contact, bc right now it doesnt seem to worth the effort.

Thanks, JM

Bronze Contributor

Jeffrey, glad I was able to help.  I'll offer my 2 cents worth for your other questions, but primarily as it applies to my personal experiences.

Maintaining companies give you a place to keep information that applies to the company regardless of who your contact is at the moment.  For example, you can keep documents there that are applicable to everyone in the company, maybe an annual report or a news artile.  I have created a profile tab that has characteristics about the company that I want to know, again regardless of which contact is currently current.  I sell hardware, software, and services.  In that tab I keep about 50 fields of information that is useful to me for either return visits or lookups.  For example, I may have a special on upgrading from one product to another.  I will just a do a lookup of the product to see which companies have that product. 

As far as having too many companies, I think that is a personal preference.  Whcn you click on the Companies tab you can use the lookup command like normal, except when you do a lookup by name, it will find the name of the companies.  Or you can do a right click on the name field and do a lookup for companies that "contain"  a word. 

So, if you really don't have a need to look at information that is focused on the company view, then you really don't need to take advantage of it. 

Hope this extra babbling helped. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013