Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hyperlink a Contact Field to a Group

Skilled Commentator

Hyperlink a Contact Field to a Group

[ Edited ]

Is it possible to make a field link to a group in the database based on a selected option? For example, if I make a conact an A client in the ID/Status field, could I somehow make it so when I click "A client" in that field, it takes me to the corresponding A Client dynamic group?

Edit: similarly to how when you select a company for a contact to be linked to, how it links to that company and becomes clickable. 

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
 Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn
Copper Contributor

Re: Hyperlink a Contact Field to a Group

Under the "Groups" section, create a new group called "A Client". Once you create it, on the lower right you can find an "Add/Remove contacts" option. It opens a new dialog box which has two criteria - Static members & Dynamic members. Choose "Edit criteria" under "Dynamic members". You should the drop down lists as the following:

Type: Contact

Field name: ID/Status

Operator: Equal to

Value: A Client.

Choose "Add to list"

This should link the ID?Status field to the group. Hope this helps!

Ruby K
Skilled Commentator

Ruby,

Thank you, but this is not quite what I meant! I know how to utilize dynamic grouping, and use it for a lot of things. I was wondering if I could make it easier for my coworkers to go from a contact's profile to a particular group of contacts.

For example, on Joe Schmo's contact, if I select his ID/Status to "A Client", I'd like for my coworker to CLICK on the words "A Client" and arrive at the A Client group in our database.

Does that make sense? 

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
Bronze Contributor

I know you are wanting to hyperlink from the content of the ID/Status field to the group, but I don't think that is possible.  It sounds like you have been using ACT for a while, so please excuse me if this is an over simplification.

Select the Groups/Companies tab and then click on Dynamic Membership.  That would show the group he is in based on the content of the ID/Status, even if you have changed it. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Skilled Commentator

John,

Yes, I understand. Thanks for your input, though! I have found a sort of way to do this, actually.

Find the field > right click > select "Lookup [field_name]" and select the item from there.

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com