Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Huge disappointment.

Huge disappointment.

Using 2008. Relatively new to Act's features though have been using it for several years. New product line so started a new database. Wanted to synch both databases at once. Posted here and no hits, so I tried again myself, again w/ no luck, so I called the Help Line. Guy said it would cost me $199 to get the help I needed. Forget it, I'll transfer everything over to another program - Act's just not that good in the first place - why would I want to buy a second license?
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Huge disappointment.

With all due respect, I read your first posting and I could not determine if you waned to synchronize two databases together or if you planed to set up sync to a remote site with two different databases. Even your present posting is not totally clear but I assume that you have created a second database and you wanted to sync that with your first database I assume mainly to populate the contact records in the second database. First, synchronization is a specific process that need to be setup in advance so that you have a publisher and one or more remote databases. You can't simply try to synchronize two existing databases. If you wanted to populate the contact records of the second database then you can create the second database and import the recordsfrom the first database or you could create the second database by doing File | Save Copy As to create a second database with all the information from your first database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have two databases for each of two product lines - lets say cars and computers. I am currently synching my car databases between my laptop and my desktop. I'm now adding the computer database onto my desktop. I want to transfer those contacts to my laptop, but also synch each database between the two machines concurrently - is that possible? Do I really have to buy another license to do that?
Nickel Elite Contributor

I hope I can clarify things a bit. First, if you are the only user then you only need one license. The only problem you might encounter after three installs/activations, you will get an advisory message and you will need to call Sage Customer Service to authorize additional installs.

The number of different databases you set up for synchronization. However I assume that you are using the standard version of the ACT! program and with that version the ACT! program must be running and the database you're syncing to opened so no you can't sync them at the same time.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thanks, Roy. You answered my question. Much appreciated. I can finagle from here. Smiley Happy