Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How would you record meeting people at networking events and following up?

I guess I didn't ask my post as a question so, here goes.

I am new to ACT! I just bought the 2010 edition, and I have been reading the manual. There is discussion about setting up meetings with people etc.

I have been attending networking events and collecting business cards. I want to record that I have met Mr. X, and then I sent Mr. X a follow up note (snail mail). I also want to record briefly in History, I guess, what I said in the note that I mailed him.

Thanks.

Chelle

Copper Contributor

Re: How would you record meeting people at networking events and following up?

If I were in your position, I would...

1 - Create a new Contact from the business card you received from the meeting

2 - Record a History of the initial meeting(make changes to type, date and time adding any notes about the meeting in the Detail portion)

3 - Create new Activity Types for the type of follow up you are looking to do with the new contact.

Schedule - Manage - Activity Types - Add

I have added so many new ones that I am not sure what actually comes with ACT as a default.

4 - Schedule an Activity for a future date, I love the Recurrence Tab, helps me not forget to do something that needs to be done every week or month...

NOTE - you are able to attach a document to any activity. I have a monthly newsletter that I email and mail and I attach a copy on each contact that I have that reminder on.

Thank you,
Ann
Bronze Contributor

Re: How would you record meeting people at networking events and following up?

Great response from Ann.  I would add to make use of the source field too.  That way you can keep up with which networking event you attended. 

If you do a lot of these, don't forget that there are products that will scan the cards and put the information into ACT for you. 

Glad to see a new user and one who is focused on improving the efficiency of using technology to manage sales.  Good luck to you.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013