Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How well does database sync work?

Copper Contributor

How well does database sync work?

Hi. I'm considering installing ACT on my business partner's computer and using database syncing. He's in Brisbane Australia, I'm in Sydney Australia. We both have fairly decent internet connections (I'm on ADSL2+. Current connection speed is pretty standard: Incoming: 4717 kbps, Outgoing: 701 kbps.) Business partner's may be slightly less, but not sure yet as he's just having it set up after moving house.

I'm currently using Act 2009 Premium, but expect to upgrade to 2010 if the sync is acceptable. 

I'd definitely test before buying another licence and committing to the whole thing, but even that takes time and maybe a bit of investment. So I was hoping for some feedback from some peeps who've done it before in a business scenario.

We run a web design & dev company. We'll mostly be adding email, Word docs, PDFs, and small JPGs to the database. It'd be nice to add some bigger files too (e.g. 30meg images), but I suspect they'd cause problems.

What do you think? Database sync worth trying?

Cheers.

Glenn

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How well does database sync work?

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/01/sharing-act-network-or-sync-part-1.html

You'll probably want to set up Application Sync with Hamachi VPN (as per that article)

Also make sure you have the latest patch and Hotfix for BOTH copies... there are a few fixes for syncin the hotfixes

Sync works fine if set up correctly. You might find it worthwhile getting a consultant in Sydney or Brisbane to do the initial setup... it's worth it to get it right first time.

Platinum Elite Contributor

BTW: We have a list of Australian consultants here: http://www.glcomputing.com.au/support/1

Or you can let me know and I'll suggest one. I'm also in Sydney

Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike. Appreciate the advice (once again!). Definitely I plan to get an ACT consultant to help me out.

Cheers.

Glenn