Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to work at home from network based database?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to work at home from network based database?

How can I work at home.  I am in process of developing reports, dashboards and so on.  However, I want to do this at home, after the kids are to bed.  I would prefer not to use “go to my pc”, but will if its my only option.  We are using act 2008, premium version for work groups.  We are networked based.  Do I create a remote database or do I create a back up on my laptop? Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jef@fdb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: How to work at home from network based database?

Jef,

Given that your description seems to indicate you want to develop your database further someof these things you can only do on the master database and then synchronise out so I would say remoting to your work desktop may be the best option.

Backup and restore will mean you will then need to overwrite the master when you come back to the office and there are some issues for this.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author jef@fdb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Jef,

Given that your description seems to indicate you want to develop your database further someof these things you can only do on the master database and then synchronise out so I would say remoting to your work desktop may be the best option.

Backup and restore will mean you will then need to overwrite the master when you come back to the office and there are some issues for this.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Paul, thank you for your response.  I will try that.

Jef

[ Edited ]

jef@fdb wrote:
How can I work at home.  I am in process of developing reports, dashboards and so on.  However, I want to do this at home, after the kids are to bed.  I would prefer not to use “go to my pc”, but will if its my only option.  We are using act 2008, premium version for work groups.  We are networked based.  Do I create a remote database or do I create a back up on my laptop? Thanks

You may want to look at LogMeIn (www.logmein.com) vs GoToMyPC. They have a free version. I use it to remotely support my consulting clients, and it works very well.
Message Edited by arwen on 12-07-2008 05:57 PM