Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to use TrueCrypt and Act

Accepted Solution Solved
Loyal Listener
Accepted Solution

How to use TrueCrypt and Act

I am going to be converting from Goldmine to Act!2010.  I am a single user, and will be using LogMeIn Pro when I want to work from home, rather than syncing.

I need to also start using TrueCrypt, to add HIPAA-necessary protection.  I won't be encrypting the whole drive, just certain folders. Should I encrypt the whole Act program, or just the database folders?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author dtmfcc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: How to use TrueCrypt and Act

I've successfully been using ACT and TrueCrypt for several years.

1. You only need to put the databases (and sub-folders) in the TrueCrypt volume.

2. I have found that the ACT SQLinstance must be restarted after you have booted the TrueCrypt volume.

3. ACT and TrueCrypt behave well together and I've experienced no problems running them in tandem since 2006.

Here's how I do it:

1. Boot the system.

2. Launch TrueCrypt and mount the encrypted volume.

3. Restart the ACT SQL instance.  I have a batch file which contains the following code: 

NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7
NET START MSSQL$ACT7

4. Start ACT and login to the database hosted on the encrypted volume.

When shutting down:

5. Exit ACT.

6. Stop the ACT SQL instance by RUNning NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7.  (I created another batch file with the code to make it easier to run.)

7. Dismount the TrueCrypt volume.

8. Exit TrueCrypt.

9. Power down the computer.

TrueCrypt works and the security is solid.

Greg

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Act! hasn't been tested with any encryption programs and we wouldn't recommend it.  The main question is: would TrueCrypt allow the SQL program access to the database files?  If there are any options within TrueCrypt to allow this, they would need to be set up.  Before setting it up to encrypt the Act! database I recommend that you create a backup of your database (within Act! > File > Backup > Database) just in case the encryption were to cause corruption.

If you install Act! and create your database using the default settings, there would be no need to encrypt the 'Program Files\Act' folder.  There is no 'data' retained within that folder, it is strictly program files.

Greg Martin
Sage
Loyal Listener

I have posted a message on TrueCrypt forum asking about this.  Unfortunately, I am not experienced with SQL and don't really understand it.

I can't imagine that I would be the only ACT user needing encryption, esp with so many real estate and other professionals with financial information in their databases.  I need to encrypt this for HIPAA reasons.

Thanks; hopefully I'll find out how to do this.

As further information, which may help you meet your requirements... with Act! using the Microsoft SQL program there is a built-in level of encryption to the data.  Data security was one (of many) reasons that the Act! program was moved to the SQL program (in version Act! 2005).   In addition, when Act! installs it's 'Instance' within the SQL program it implements an encrypted password to prevent unauthorized access to the database(s) by other programs.
Greg Martin
Sage
Loyal Listener

Thank you; I didn't realize that.  Do you know if Act / SQL's level of encryption meets HIPAA standards?  This would be a major selling point to other therapists and medical personnel of all types.  I don't see it mentioned anywhere on Act's website.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dtmfcc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

I've successfully been using ACT and TrueCrypt for several years.

1. You only need to put the databases (and sub-folders) in the TrueCrypt volume.

2. I have found that the ACT SQLinstance must be restarted after you have booted the TrueCrypt volume.

3. ACT and TrueCrypt behave well together and I've experienced no problems running them in tandem since 2006.

Here's how I do it:

1. Boot the system.

2. Launch TrueCrypt and mount the encrypted volume.

3. Restart the ACT SQL instance.  I have a batch file which contains the following code: 

NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7
NET START MSSQL$ACT7

4. Start ACT and login to the database hosted on the encrypted volume.

When shutting down:

5. Exit ACT.

6. Stop the ACT SQL instance by RUNning NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7.  (I created another batch file with the code to make it easier to run.)

7. Dismount the TrueCrypt volume.

8. Exit TrueCrypt.

9. Power down the computer.

TrueCrypt works and the security is solid.

Greg

Loyal Listener

Thank you so much for your detailed instructions.  I'll be trying this out, once I get converted to Act and get all that running smoothly.  I really appreciate your help.

[ Edited ]

Just a note about the instructions: it sounds like 'GregH' is using either Act! 2005 or 2006 - so the SQL service is named 'MSSQL$ACT7'.  In later versions (2007 through current) the service name is 'SQL Server (Act7)'. 

Command syntax example: Net Stop "sql server (act7)"

Note: You will need the double quotes and spaces.

Message Edited by gmartin on 06-15-2010 05:43 AM
Greg Martin
Sage
Loyal Listener

Thank you!
Copper Elite Contributor

Greg, I'm running ACT! 2010 ver 12.1.181.0 Hot Fix 1.

I checked the code execution and when I enter NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7 the system responds by stopping the SQL Server (Act7) instance.  I then entered NET START MSSQL$ACT7 and the system started the SQL Server (Act7) instance!  It is interpreting the old code for the new.  (I have, however, now updated my batch files with the newer command syntax.)