Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How to use TrueCrypt and Act

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: How to use TrueCrypt and Act - updated?

Wow!  Thank you for going to all this trouble for me, GregH.

I closed my ACT! program and after entering NET STOP "SQL SERVER (ACT7)" in the cmd window I received the message:

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

So should I be running my ACT! program while doing this?  I am very wary of screwing up the program so I thought I should ask first.

And the start up command is NET START "SQL SERVER (ACT7)" , right?

And thank you in any case for your incredibly kiind help!!  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Be sure to type the command exactly as listed below:

NET STOP "SQL SERVER (ACT7)"

Note the location of the quotes and that there is a space between SERVER and the left parenthesis.

If that doesn't work then run ACTDIAG and look for the name of the SQL Server instance.  From the Sage ACT Knowledgebase articles it looks like ACT7 is still the name of the SQL instance. 

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your System Error 5 appears to be related to a permissions setting for a database.  Check out the Sage ACT knowledgebase article 24219 found here:  Answer ID 24219

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

GregH,

Should I be running my ACT! program when doing all of this?

Thanks so much for your kind help!

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hi GregH,

I followed the instructions to add Everyone as a group with Full Control permissions but I still get the same System Error 5 notice.

Rats!

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Okay,  I think I found an alternative way to start and stop the SQL from

How to Stop or Start the SQL Server® ACT7 Instance

Answer ID 27046

"To stop or start the service using the Windows Services page
  1. Click the Windows Start button, select Run.
  2. Type services.msc and click OK. The Services console appears.
  3. Browse in the list and right-click the SQL Server (ACT7) entry. Click Stop or Start."

That appears to work.  So tomorrow when I have my wits about me again I'll try to see if I can do this to access the copy of the database I placed into the TrueCrypt volume file on my hard drive.

Fingers crossed and will report on results!

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Success!  

Now all I have to do is reconsider simply encrypting the entire hard drive instead.

Is there a reason to not do that?

Does the SQL create problems for ACT! if you simply encrypt the entire hard drive?

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

I never encrypted the entire hard drive because when it's just a volume you can easily copy it to a backup drive, another hard drive, etc.  Encrypted  volumes seemed more portable, and therefore more flexible, to me.

I don't believe SQL Server would have any problems as long as the TrueCrypt hard drive was a separate physical disk.

Congratulations for getting it working!  It's great when it all finally comes together, isn't it?

Good work.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

GregH you deserve all the credit for your very kind help.

Thank you!

I have yet to find where the file with the 10gig Volume I created is stored for backup. When I look there I see zero data bits.   I also will be contacting Carbonite to find out if that file (when found) is being backed up on their service or not.  I suspect not which may be a problem.

So my situation is pretty simple.  I have just the one hard drive.  You don't think I can just use TrueCrypt to encrypt the entire hard drive with the ACT! program and its SQL version all on that drive?  

Or are you suggesting I could place the TrueCrypt program on a thumbdrive and create the Volume file on my hard drive?

In any case this has become quite an educational experience for me.

Again my thanks to you for all of the very generous assistance you have offered here!

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

smithid,

You're very welcome. 

If SQL is running from inside the TrueCrypt volume I believe you'd be fine.  However, you'll likely experience a performance hit  because now you'll have TC executing on-the-fly encryption/decryption of not only the data but also the database manager.  I only kept data in the TC volume and maintained the applications (ACT, SQL Server, etc.) on the boot drive.

Another performance tweak I implemented was to install a 240 GB SSD as my boot drive.  It held Windows, all programs, and my TC containers.  This way TC is running in memory and I have a very fast solid state drive holding the TC container.  No moving parts in this scenario.

Yes, you may run TC from a USB drive.  It's very small.  You can also maintain the TC volume on the same thumb drive.  This way no data resides on the system hard drives - portability, baby!

In your single hard drive scenario I believe you'll get the best performance by building your system normally and simply mounting a TrueCrypt container as a Volume.  What's cool is the TrueCrypt will work either way.