Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How to use TrueCrypt and Act

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: How to use TrueCrypt and Act

dtmfcc,

If you have other questions just post them around here.  I'm just a regular user but there a lot of very knowledgeable people on this board (the other Greg, for instance).

Greg

Highlighted
Platinum Super Contributor

Hey Greg, Thanks for the info on the commands!  Wouldn't have guessed it would interpret it.
Greg Martin
Sage
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Greg,

Happy to be of service for a change.  Usually, I'm the one asking everybody for help! :-D

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: How to use TrueCrypt and Act - updated?

Will all of this (using TrueCrypt) still work with ACT! 2012 in Windows 7?

And what about using the Windoews 7 BitLocker option to encrypt everything?  

I, too, need to meet HIPAA encryption requirements (in the event of the theft of my hard drive).

Passwords alone no longer meet their standards as I have had it explained to me.

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

I am running Win 7 Pro x64 and it runs on this platform.  I can't speak to BitLocker, though.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thank you, GregH.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit operating system.

In reading your previous posts here can you suggest what batch file commands are needed to stop and start the SQL for Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.0.572.0, Hot Fix 2 (which is what I have currently)?

I really need to get this thing under control and am just coming p to speed on the use of TrueEncrypt.

Thank you for any further suggestions or guidance you can offer!

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

GregH -

Are you know on ACT! 2013?

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Negative.  Out firm moved to Salesforce.  In my opinion ACT is a much more polished platform.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

GregH, sorry you are not still using ACT!  Thank you for responding anyway.

I hoped someone could claify the correct way to write the correct code since I understand these are no longer correct:

NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7
NET START MSSQL$ACT7

I suspect I am very close to making this work but am really hesitant to make some mistake that will effectively lock me out of my ACT!  program.  

That would essentially kill my business right there.  No need to worry about encryption requirements from HIPAA then!! Smiley Surprised

Any suggestions from anyone would be deeply appreciated!

I am still amazed that ACT! hasn't simply done something to spell out how to do this step-by-step for non-IT customers like me in view of the fact that HIPAA requirements for encryption are a business reality.

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Smithid,

I believe you'll be okay unless the ACT SQL instance name has been changed.  A safe way to find out is to make a copy of your database inside your TrueCrypt volume, call it "Test" or "HereGoesNothing" or something equally clever.

1. Click on the Start Button in Windows and type in "cmd" (without the quote marks). Press Enter and you'll find yourself at the command line. 

2. Type: NET STOP "SQL SERVER (ACT7)" (with the quotes) and press Enter.

You should see text appear on the screen informing you that the service was stopped successfully.  If that works then the command is working with your version/implementation of ACT.

3. Type: NET STOP "SQL SERVER (ACT7)" and press Enter. You should see the service starts up.

4. Type: exit to close the command line window and return to Windows.

5. Load ACT and try to open your HereGoesNothing test database.

If it works then create batch files by opening up Notepad and typing the NET STOP command in and save it as StopSQL.bat or whatever name you'd like as long as it ends in .bat.  Put both NET commands on separate lines into another file and name it ReStartSQL.bat.

Then all you have to do is mount your TrueCrypt volume and run ReStartSQL.bat to get the SQL service up and running.  Use StopSQL.bat to shut down SQL before dismounting the volume in TrueCrypt.

Test it and see if it works for you.