Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to transfer Data from flash drive to my PC. I want to keep both data with the same name.

How to transfer Data from flash drive to my PC. I want to keep both data with the same name.

I have act 2010 version. I would like to back up my act data file on flash drive and then transfer these backed up data  to my lap top. I have downloaded act 2010 on both computers.

I would like to keep both the computers updated with same data. I do not have to  use both computers at the same time. thanks in advance.

neera

Bronze Contributor

Re: How to transfer Data from flash drive to my PC. I want to keep both data with the same name.

[ Edited ]

Hello neera and welcome to the Act Community forum.

While I understand the question, I would strongly suggest that you create a remote database and utilize the sychronizaton function that is built into ACT.

I have a similar situation, so I use the laptop when I'm out of the office and then synch it when I return.  It is much easier to synch the computers when they are both connected to the same wireless router.  It gets a little trickier to synch when you are remote from your primary location. 

As far as using the same name, that will not be possible, but I generally just add "-R" to the remote file. 

To get step by step instructions, click on Help (F1) and search for "Remote".  The first entry should be "Setting Up and Maintaining Database Synchronization".  You will create the remote db on the flash drive then follow the instructions for creating the db on the remote system.  That should be the last time you will have to use the flash drive.

Good luck and hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit