Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to remove an orphane ACT 2005 entry from startup menu

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

How to remove an orphane ACT 2005 entry from startup menu

Hi, I have a problem. I completely formatted my computer and reinstalled XP. Somehow, it inherited a registry-entry that places ACT! 2005 as an empty folder in my startup menu. Removing them by hand is not possible. It produces an error that the device or file cannot be read.

Now before anyone goes of with: "use the uninstaller", etc., let me be clear: there is no, nor has been, an ACT! 2005 installation on this computer after formatting it. What I found are 2 registry entries corresponding to the menu entry. Removing these is possible, but when I reboot, they magically reappear. Looking at the logfile gives a clue: registry file is in use at the time of the action. Whatever I try, this does not change.

So now I'm stuck: this Act! 2005 entry is here to stay....or does anyone have a bright idea? Please help!

Regards, Erwin

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author evanbeem
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: How to remove an orphane ACT 2005 entry from startup menu

Experienced the same issue with a customer not to long ago.  Ended up having to use DelinvFile to delete the folder.  You can download it at the link below.

http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Try going into the Registry Editor and deleting the ACT! 2005 entry under the following registry key:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2070541261-389910272-1345520227-4106\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs

If needed, you can also browse to following location in Windows Explorer (My Computer) and delete ACT! 2005 from the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\(your Windows user name)\Start Menu\Programs

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for responding so fast.

The registry keys were removed, finally. The menu entry still exists. I'm not able to delete it. I tried to delete it in Explorer and in a CMD-box. Both fail, but in a different way. In Explorer I get "could not read from file or device". In the CMD-box it cannot find the directory, even though I see it with the DIR-command from the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs.

Just a thought: could this be a DOS/XP syntax problem? The exclamation point in the directory name could be a problem. From the CMD-line I get "the system cannot find the requested file" when I enter "RD ACT! 2005" in the Program directory. When I enter "CD All Users" it just goes to the directory, so the space is not the problem in de CMD.

Hope you can help.

Regards,

Erwin

Did you bring your settings from the previous XP install with the Windows File and Settings Transfer? If so, you might have other ACT! settings and the uninstaller.exe might clean it.

Have you tried to see if it's in {Yourusername} instead of "All Users"?

Hi Greg,

I did not bring any old settings to the new XP installation. Tried the uninstaller before, but it would not even consider to run.

The menu entry is in the all users directory, not in my own user directory. I can see it, I just can't remove it.

What I'm looking for is a solution to remove the directory. Again, I suspect the problem to be with XP/CMD not being able to handle the !-sign in the name as just any other character.

To put it differently: if I type "RD ACT! 2005" in a CMD-box, what directory does it try to remove? "ACT!", "ACT", "ACT! 2005" or even something else? CMD says it cannot find the specified directory, wich suggests it looks for something else than the full directory name.

If I type DIR *.*, it finds all directories, including "ACT! 2005".

If I type CD ACT! 2005, CMD says again that it cannot find the specified directory.

So, there you have it. How do we manually remove a directory that, because of it's name, seems impossible to be removed manually.

It looks that XP has a few Chinese puzzles installed. Smiley Surprised

Kind regards,

Erwin

What error did the Uninstaller give?

In the CMD prompt, try:

RD "ACT! 2005"

Note the quotes - necessary when there are spaces in the name. It's the space, not the ! that would cause the problem.

Of course, if you have that, you must have done something to get it there... and I wonder what other items you might have brought across?

Solution
Accepted by topic author evanbeem
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Experienced the same issue with a customer not to long ago.  Ended up having to use DelinvFile to delete the folder.  You can download it at the link below.

http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/

Hi David,

Downloaded the program, ran it and was able to delete the invalid directory name.

Thanks, man!

Kind regards,

Erwin van Beem