Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to remove a grey bar that is hiding the company name field.

How to remove a grey bar that is hiding the company name field.

I made the mistake of trying to adjust the Company Field via Tools and ended up with a grey bar that almost fills the entire Company Field so the Company name is hidden.  All other populated fields are visible.  I was trying to adjust the size of the company names and ended up with this problem.  I think I missed the chance to revert back to the original format by clicking on the Save Option.

ACT! Pro, Version 16.0.291.0, Hotfix 5 on Windows 7.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: How to remove a grey bar that is hiding the company name field.

You can probably click on it and move it with the cursor keys.  If that doesn't work just click on it and deleted it.  If you accidentally delete the Company field you can always add it back.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Bronze Contributor

Another thing to try is opening the properties window while in layout design.  It opens to the right and you can click on the top right panel and scroll thru the various elements if you cannot actually click on the grey bar. The idea is to find the element and you can then adjust the size via the property panel. I tend to keep the property window open when working on layouts so I can tweak sizes of lines more gradually. I too have ended up with over large lines and the property window saved me. 

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Stan:

It covered EVERY Company name in my entire database of over 5,000 contacts!  I can't go thru all of them to delete the Company name and hopefully the grey over-"coating" and then reinstall each company name!!  I need a way to reverse whatever dumb unintentional thing I did in an effort to make the company names standout!  I've used ACT since DOS days but at almost 79, I'm not terribly computer literate.  Hence, as long as the computer does what I need, I'm fine.  However, when it decides to go South on me I get frustrated because as a Mech. Eng., even though I know that doesn't prepare me to know how to deal with computers, it causes me unnecessary angst!

Administrator

Hi Stuart,

You should only need to remove the bar that is hiding the field once, and it will be saved to the layout and applied to all contacts.

Navigate to Tools > Design Layout > Contacts, then click on the gray bar, and either move it (if you want to keep it somewhere else) or just hit the delete yet to get rid of it. If the bar doesn't highlight when clicking on it, hit F4 and try and find the bar in the dropdown that appears, clicking on it there will highlight it for you.

Hit the save button, and you should no longer see the grey bar on your contacts.