Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to refresh Outlook contacts from Act 2012 using built-in Outlook sync?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to refresh Outlook contacts from Act 2012 using built-in Outlook sync?

I need to reload my Outlook contacts from Act 2012, as some of them got deleted (in Outlook) and don't seem to get resynced from Act. I don't want to use the "sync all Act contacts" option because I am filtering out any records that have a certain flag set. The records deleted from Outlook, which are still in Act, don't get resynced for some reason. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bnchester
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: How to refresh Outlook contacts from Act 2012 using built-in Outlook sync?

You are correct, ACT! does track the contacts that sync between the 2 programs.  When a contact is deleted from Outlook, it will not be deleted from ACT!, but will no longer be updated from the ACT! database.  There are 'meta' files that can be deleted (will be rebuilt with next sync) which will reset the contacts being tracked.  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 27105

Note: This process will reset the sync action and any previously synchronized contacts that remain in both ACT! and Outlook may be synchronized again causing duplicates. After making backups of the ACT! database and Outlook profile, duplicate contacts should be removed from one of the programs before initiating the sync process again.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

Do a backup before attempting anything here!

First of all check the options in Outlook Synchronization preferences - Tools, Synchronize with Outlook, Outlook Synchronization Preferences, Synchronize Contacts, this defines who is the boss, Outlook or ACT. If you've updated both and ACT is the boss, maybe that's why your Outlook contacts won't reload.

Try to export only the records you want sync'd from ACT. Create a lookup based on only the contacts you want to export from ACT, and export the Current Lookup as a CSV file, File Export, Text Delimited. In Outlook import them, File, Import from another File, choose Comma Separated Values (Windows).

Copper Contributor

My setup is as in the image. Act is the boss, so if something disappears from Outlook I would think that Act would replace it. Otherwise, what does it mean to be the boss.

Your second solution: well, of course I could do that (I can also rekey in the few that are deleted) but then why bother with sync? It becomes useless functionality. Also, I would expect (hope) that Act is keeping some sort of track of keys, and this method would subvert that. I end up with enough duplicate appointments because of shoddy implementation of the calendar sync, I don't want that with contacts too!.

actsync.png

Solution
Accepted by topic author bnchester
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

You are correct, ACT! does track the contacts that sync between the 2 programs.  When a contact is deleted from Outlook, it will not be deleted from ACT!, but will no longer be updated from the ACT! database.  There are 'meta' files that can be deleted (will be rebuilt with next sync) which will reset the contacts being tracked.  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 27105

Note: This process will reset the sync action and any previously synchronized contacts that remain in both ACT! and Outlook may be synchronized again causing duplicates. After making backups of the ACT! database and Outlook profile, duplicate contacts should be removed from one of the programs before initiating the sync process again.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks, I think this is what I was looking for. So the procedure would be to delete all Outlook contacts to prevent duplicates, then do the steps in the article?

The order of these 2 stesps isn't actually critical - you will just need to delete both the meta files and Outlook contacts before attempting the sync again. 

I believe this is in the article, but I highly recommend creating backups before performing these steps to reduce the chance of lost or duplicated data.  In ACT! use the File > Backup > Database option.  For Outlook, export your contacts to an Excel file.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

This was exactly the fix I was looking for. Thanks!

Copper Contributor

Hey, Greg, I have a followup question. I have Act installed on my desktop, and I have created a remote database for my laptop for when I travel. Of course the laptop also has Outlook. When I did some testing a couple of weeks back when I first installed Act 2012, I noticed that I was getting duplicate calendar entries (I dodn't check contacts), presumably because the metadata is different on the two computers. Is there a way to ensure I can use Act integration with Outlook while traveling, so I don't get duplicates? Maybe copy the metadata files and rename them so that the reference the remote DB name?

Thanks,

Barry

Hmm... interesting question.  We have not tested how the sync would behave if the meta files were copied/renamed for use with another database.  I don't know if this will work or not. 

An issue I see in trying this (copy meta files) is that you would have to copy the files each time wanted to use the other database (desktop to laptop or laptop to desktop). 

You are correct, since each database has its own meta files - each database will treat the sync independently and when the remote is synchronized back to the main database, duplication could occur.  

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I tried it, and it didn't work. This is a problem for me, as I travel often and need to sync my calendar from Outlook to Act while I'm on the road. This can't be that unusual a situation. Now I have to wait until I get home, then resync the past week or two, then enter all my meeting notes etc., rather than do it real time.