Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to perform automatic backups...

How to perform automatic backups...

I recently upgraded to the newest form of ACT 2008.  In the previous version I was able to schedule automatic data backups, however with this new version I can't find that option.  When you search the ACT user manual or database it gives you a process that doesn't seem available with my version of ACT.

Does anyone know how to schedule an auto data backup with the new version?  ACT 2008 10.0

Thanks

Re: How to perform automatic backups...

I have been searching for this all morning myself. I have a feeling this is only available in the Premium version of 2008. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Platinum Elite Contributor

While there isn't an article on ACT! 2008, this ACT! Knowledge Base article describes how to do it in 2007.

Also, I can't remember if it's an option in non-Premium products... but the article will tell you were to look

I actually went to that article, however in ACT 2008 there is no "ACT Scheduler" under the tool dropdown menu.  It's entirely frustrating that they're not making this feature easier to find.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Has anyone else found a solution to this?

-Thanks

Nickel Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
Mike is correct, the Scheduler is only available in the Premium version of the software.

Message Edited by AJones on 01-30-2008 12:16 PM

Thanks for the info.  That's absolutely ridiculous that they wouldn't build automatic data backups into every one of their versions.

I hope that ACT is monitoring this and can suggest a solution.

Thanks again...

Here's a solutuion I sometimes use. Create an ACTBackup.bat file as follows:
REM - Change the SET Paramaters as appropriate for your system
SET ACTSourceFolder="C:\Act\Database"
SET ACTDestinationFolder="D:\Backups\Act\Database"
SET XcopyOptions=/M /E /C /H /O /Y /I
REM
REM - Stop ACT Service
NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7
NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7
REM
REM - Perform copy
XCOPY %ACTSourceFolder% %ACTDestinationFolder% %XcopyOptions%
REM
REM - Restart ACT Service
NET START MSSQL$ACT7
NET START SQLAGENT$ACT7
END
With the SQL engine stopped, you can use anything to copy/backup the database and supplemental files. You could replace the XCOPY with a command line ZIP or other back-up utility.

Then have the BAT file run from the Windows scheduler

Mike

Thanks for the work.

I tried the batch file but have been unable to get it to work, but that is not why I am replying.

I see that you are only backing up the files that are in the Database folder.

I have Act 2009 and the data base  appears to be in the C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Databases folder.

I can have the data/files/folders in the Databases folder backed up automatically via my 'backu4all3' as long as I am sure that I have the files needed. Have you restored using the files/folders created via the batch file? Is there a problem backing up files that are opened or does the Shadow Copy thing take care of that? When I do a manual backup, I assume the opened files are backed up satisfactorily. I also don't think they stop the SQL stuff as I believe QBooks uses it too--and it runs slow enough too, so I am pretty sure it must!-- and that is operational during the backup.

If it were that simple to do--that is, just zip all the data in the Databases folder, it seems ridiculous that it is not included in the package as delivered.

QBooks is a good comparison because they do not have an autobackup either, but one can backup the file/database automatically and I have both done that and restored from it-hence the question about retoring from the backup created via the batch file.

Sorry for the long note but this stuff is important.

I appreciate your time and effort here.

Joe

belair wrote:

Mike

Thanks for the work.

I tried the batch file but have been unable to get it to work, but that is not why I am replying.

What happens?

I see that you are only backing up the files that are in the Database folder.

And sub-folders like supplemental files. That's the point of the Xcopy switches

I have Act 2009 and the data base  appears to be in the C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Databases folder.

Did you adjust the Source folder at the beginning?

I can have the data/files/folders in the Databases folder backed up automatically via my 'backu4all3' as long as I am sure that I have the files needed. Have you restored using the files/folders created via the batch file? Is there a problem backing up files that are opened or does the Shadow Copy thing take care of that? When I do a manual backup, I assume the opened files are backed up satisfactorily. I also don't think they stop the SQL stuff as I believe QBooks uses it too--and it runs slow enough too, so I am pretty sure it must!-- and that is operational during the backup.

Unless using ACT!'s backup, or a real SQL backup and the Sage SA pass utility, you have to stop the SQL to back it up. The BAT file will restart it when finished. Restoring it not difficult... you copy the files/folders back, delete the PAD and open the ADF (which attaches the database and re-creates the PAD)

If it were that simple to do--that is, just zip all the data in the Databases folder, it seems ridiculous that it is not included in the package as delivered.

you can't just ZIP a SQL database without stopping SQL. The ACT! backup does a SQL copy of the database, then ZIPs the copy.

QBooks is a good comparison because they do not have an autobackup either, but one can backup the file/database automatically and I have both done that and restored from it-hence the question about retoring from the backup created via the batch file.

The is auto backup from the scheduler in the Premium versions, and also now with 2009 in the standard version of ACT!

Sorry for the long note but this stuff is important.

I appreciate your time and effort here.

Joe