Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to organize companies?

Copper Contributor

How to organize companies?

I have an old database with only groups, so in that one it's groups and the contact company field is a text string.It is groups and sub groups, and the highest level of group was serving as "category" and lower groups was serving as companies or other things.  

So to update this database I do this: 

1. Create companies.

2. Link contacts to companies. 

Then I have a long list of companies and the contacts in the companies. But I can't put the companies in any sort of category.  

One way I found out that probably are not that good is to still use groups as categories and in the second level of groups I create a group with the same name as a company and make all contacts linked to that company to dynamic members. Is this a bad approach?  

Can't you put labels (Category name) on the companies and make them show up on the category group dynamic? (List companies in group view based on criteria on the category field of the company)

Copper Contributor

Re: How to organize companies?

Anyone have any advice on this?? It wold help me much, i whant to get it right from the start.

I need an answer on this as well
Bronze Contributor

Hi asedt,

Groups and companies can be confusing.  First of all, I am not a technician, but a single user; however, I have made great use of the "companies" feature. 

A couple of ground rules:

1.  The hierarchy is not, repeat ... NOT relational.  Every level is in fact a flat file and there is no roll up feature built in.  Think in terms of how it would be sorted in an Excel spreadsheet.

2.  As you name companies, you have to think in terms of how that organization will benefit you and name the companies and divisions accordingly.  A little about this later.

Here's how I use companies:

1.  Using the company icon, creat a blank company called "Customers", another called "Vendors", another called "Prior Customers" -- these are the major groupings of customers. 

2.  Create a company from any one of the contacts (you may have to drag it to become a division under one of the major company entries). 

3..  Under each company I create a division called "Company name team" and "Company name vendor support"  -- in my organization there is a team of employees assigned to each company and I also work with manufacturers for each company, and I like to keep them seperate.

NOTE:  I repeat the company name and the reason for the division.  For example, say I call on Sage Software, Inc.  The first "Company" division would be called Customers, then a division under customer would be Sage Software, Inc., the first division under Sage Software would be called Sage Team and the 2nd division would be called Sage Vendors

This gives me what looks like a company level and two sub levels to each company.  I also do this so that when I look up a member of my company, I can see that he is assigned to Sage, because under the Companies tab in the contact profile it will say "Sage Team" as opposed to just "Team".  Seeing the word "Team" wouldn't tell me which companies he is working on.  I would have to click on the hyperlink to see -- wasted steps.

Hopefully this sheds some light on what you were asking.  Unfortunately, my good intentions in sharing my practices sometimes leaves people confused.  I hope that didn't happen, but if it did, please post a follow up question.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Copper Contributor

Thank you jnpurdy for you reply, it was a long time ago i asked this but I'm very grateful.

As I understand you description you use blank companies as categories for your companies. And use divisions in these blank companies as companies and then have divisions in you divisions.

Did I get that right?

Bronze Contributor

That's it exactly.  Hmmm, you described in two lines what took me a full page.  Nice going.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013